Untangle

Discussion in 'Software' started by jiggy, Oct 23, 2008.

1. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

just been mucking around with some great software I found while downloading the internet and thought I would "share the love".

Its called untangle (http://www.untangle.com/) and is basically a open source network gateway. At the moment I have it setup as a virtual machine in my lab that logically sits between my cisco router and the rest of my network. It is doing spam, phishing and spyware blocking, web filtering, virus scanning, intrusion protection, protocol control and firewall duties. All I can say is that it is very cool and super easy to setup. It also has some great reporting options that you could use if you were in a business environment.

Anyway if you're bored or your home network needs reconfiguration (and lets be honest, it always does ;D) then check it out.

Now...I wonder if it is bad to use the web filter to stop the mrs wasting bandwidth on strictly come dancing on the iplayer...hmmm

(NB: Not associated with untangle in any way, shape or form).

Jiggy.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks mate. I'll be looking at it more in depth. Could be just what I need.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685