unsure about CV layout for 1st line type jobs

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by buy_my_cookies, Nov 13, 2012.

1. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

Hi all,

About a month ago I passed my A+, I was going to wait until I passed my N+ to start applying for jobs but after a quick look on Reed I have seen a few jobs I like so i decided my wait.

In my current job I am sort of on the edge of IT I provide support to the planning department of my local council, but these can be anything from selecting the right printer in Word, presentations, mail merges, helping with spreadsheets, administrating some bespoke software we have, I am my departments first point of call for a tech problem but a lot of the time I have to get onto our real IT department because I don't have permission to do much! But i also seem to spend about 40% of my time doing simple administrative duties as well. (its hard to explain what i do, but I do get the job title Technical Support Officer which is a step in the right direction)

I am after my first proper IT support job, 1st Line, Helpdesk, Desktop support type thing. I have tried to highlight my relevant skills and also tried to highlight customer service skills. I am unsure how to lay it out, as in what order should I put the sections in? The order I have atm shows my list of skills with work experience listed after but this means that my A+ (which I am assuming will be very relevant to the jobs im applying for) does not appear until the second page. Oh and one more thing I clearly failed my uni course my own fault for not trying hard enough and too much partying how should I put this down? should I leave it as it is?

How would you organize my attached CV? Also if people wouldn't mind giving it the once other id really appreciate it and happily take any criticisms on-board.

View attachment CV_for_forum_13_11_12.doc

Thank you.

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Would cut down the skills section mate - does not seem to have any direction.....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

Many thanks for taking a look,
    I agree that it just sort of looks like a long boring list. Would you suggest that I just remove some of the bullet points, only problem is I really can’t decide which to remove? Or perhaps try to shorten and combine some of the points?
    In the skills section I tried to list soft skills first followed by technical skills to give it some sort of direction/structure but this may not have worked.

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I would cut it down, and also for things like Bar Supervisor, I think the duties are pretty much self-explanatory. The list of skills is just the same as anyone else puts down ... working as a team etc, and you haven't qualified them, so does it actually mean anything?

What's your definition of a medium-sized home network? What does it incorporate?

What does this mean?

• Knowledge of common TCP/IP protocols.

TCP/IP are two protocols, do you know what a sliding window protocol is for example, and what it means in relation to TCP? That's what I would call "knowing it" ... others might differ.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012