Understanding permissions

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by datarunner, Feb 3, 2009.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi all

dunno how many times i have covered share and ntfs permissions but i keep forgetting the rules. so here is my understanding and please correct if im wrong.

a shared folder - combine share and ntfs and the most restrictive wins

ntfs permissions from one group and ntfs permissions from another group are culmlative - less restrictive permission is given.

i hope my understanding is correct and if not then please advise

regards

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Think you are right there. Also remember that if you are unsure, you can check the effective permissions tab. Try it on a few folders in a lab and test what happens.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

The way I always remember it is as follows:

Look at the Shared Permissions and NTFS Permissions seperatley. Escalate them both to the highest permission e.g. Shared Write and NTFS Read. Then combine them and the most restrictive of the two wins, so in this case NTFS Read.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

*Stupid Internet*
    I was posting here and it kicked me off! Yes, what you are saying is correct- I've only recently read a N+ chapter about it, and thats my understanding of sharing and permissions.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The only exception to this when calculating the "highest permission" is Deny... a Deny always trumps an Allow.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

If someone asks permission to use the escalator and then is denied what would be the outcome there? Would they escalate the problem or go with the most restrictive response? :twisted::p

Ignore me i'm feeling stupid... it happens, a lot.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Except if it an explicit Allow, which over rides an inherited Deny.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

True, but this is getting reeaallll deep now. :D