UK IT firm under investigation for anti-British discrimination

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by supernova, Mar 18, 2010.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Had to laugh when i read the front page headline of my paper this morning...

BRITISH COMPUTER FIRM IN RACISM INVESTIGATION

A JOB advertisement seeking an applicant “preferably of Indian origin” provoked fury yesterday when it appeared on a British website.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/163611
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1258818/Racism-storm-38-000-Indians-job-ad.html
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...-preferably-indian-applicants-91466-26047820/
    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...dian-origin-applicant/articleshow/5696781.cms

"IT firm Torry Harris, which has bases in Bristol and India's Bangalore city."
    "Recruitment agency McGregor Boyall Associates has pulled the advertisement from jobsite.co.uk. "

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

'Because even though we're UK based we like to give our client that authentic call centre experience' ?

Thats actually the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. supernova

What I found disturbing is that the recruitment agency cut and pasted the text from the firm and just posted it online. Makes you wonder why they were paying them.

4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Love this comment on the Daily Mail website:

(Emphasis mine)

Sorry to point his out you daft mare but whether the UK government booted everyone of a slightly different skin tone out of the country or not his job would still have gone overseas.

5. supernova

yeah its pretty sad because racists themselves will just use this a fuel of hate.
    When i first read this i thought wait until the BNP get wind of this, their never live it down.

Although saying that the job advert clearly broke the law so there are no excuses there.

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Actually, the discrimination laws governing this only apply to jobs in the UK. Since I cant read the original advert, I can't see if the job was actually based in the UK, or overseas. If it was actually for a job based in India, then tough. If it was in the UK, then the responsibility lies with both the client (and you have no idea how many clients do actually tell the agencies crap like this), and the agency (for not filtering it).

Another explanation is that that the Firm sent a copied job advert to the agency, from a job that was based in India, and they just forgot to remove that portion of it before sending.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. supernova

The Job was based in Bristol

I believed it said something a long the lines of ..

So it also actually discriminates UK citizens of other ethnic origins as well.

I agree it was probably a silly mistake.

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I saw the quote, but that doesnt mean that they didnt copy a previous job spec for a job based in India, change a few details and just forget to remove the last part before sending it to the agent.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. supernova

Oh, I see what your saying, both parties failed to spot the error. Thats what i think, although it has happen before and not been a mistake.

Still paying a agent to cut n paste :)

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Reminds me of a classic 70's news clip from Australia.
    Some daft old bloke was trying to sell his house and had a sign outside saying 'No Asians'.
    The intrpeid reporter went round to beat the guy with the racist stick.
    After about 10 minutes of hilarious misunderstanding, it turns out the guy meant 'No Agents' and was just a bit thick.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Sorry the best ever Australian news interview is this I think you'll find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcU4t6zRAKg

Anyway, yes the ad was a) stupid and b) unlawful what I find amusing are the number of people using this one particular ad as an excuse for why they are unemployed.