UK homes to get broadband via fibre optics

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Jan 23, 2008.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So I was having a quick glance on the BBC website in the technology section when I came across this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7202396.stm

Now its about time this happened...however I also found this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7104011.stm

Now, this really caught my eye:

"Universities in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Bournemouth are enjoying high-speed fibre connections with speeds of up to 20Gbps (gigabits per second), while council offices around the UK are also benefiting from super-fast broadband."

I am certainly getting excited...and lets hope this gets put out very soon...its definitely an exciting prospect and a very good idea...:biggrin

Your thoughts and views please people.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Would be nice, but I doubt it will happen here for at least the next ten years. They've already got fibre to the door (or at least the building) in Korea and - I think - lots of Scandinavia. Our broadband infrastructure is utterly pathetic - largely because BT are intent on dragging things out as much as possible to eke out as much money as they can from LLU

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Zeb, is right on the mark as I don't see this happening till after ten years from now. BT in my own book are still a monopoly acting as if it is not but we all know they have a large say if it happens soon or later.

It would certainly be great if this happens sooner though regardless. Well nothing wrong with dreaming:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yep. Someone I know has taken over an office with 5 pc's. Half a mile from the Exchange... how does half a meg grab you when it's working that is! :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT