UK Government Turning Away IT Workers from Outside EU

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by supernova, Sep 9, 2008.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

People outside the EU looking to emigrate to the UK will be turned down as the UK Government removes IT from its list of skill shortages.

I actually welcome this move! .. After seeing what has been going in IT recruitment.

Any comments??

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm in two minds about this.

1. This can be a good thing. To start to develop and use the talent that is already in the EU, especially in the UK. There are alot of IT Professionals that can not gain employment in the IT field and want either their first foot on the career ladder or to move up (promotion). There are alot of IT professional who have left the UK for better career prospects because they can't find any here.

2. This can be a bad thing. Lack of people with certain specialities or people that don't want to work for what is perceived as a low wage for IT (especially due to training companies stating £37K pa wages), remember companies will always look at cutting costs and unfortunately IT is always one of the depts they look at (not all but a good majority). Companies find that they can't fill the vancanies or get the quality (as they perceive it) and they start to move alot of their IT services off-shore, etc...

This may turn into a double edged sword hurting the IT industry here, but then again it may not. I've seen both excellent & cr*p people in IT from both the EU and outside the EU...

Like I said, I'm in 2 minds... :unsure

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Yeah I suppose i agree with you.

However, the EU itself is still a massive employment market.

It may also encourage more companies to invest in people, which is something I believe heavy in.

Also I just thought I wonder how many UK IT professionals emigrate from the UK every year.

Andrew

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think this is a good thing, personally I think they need to cap how many people are coming in anyway.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Yeah turn away the I.T workers, but invite the illegal immigrants,good going lol

But yeah I'm not 100% sure of the impact this will have on me just starting out, I'd never rule out emigrating in the future, if the cream turns sour though.

WIP: MCDST
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Good !

They can give me a job NOW for starters ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

And Me ! :biggrin

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

And me :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. jayford

jayford Bit Poster

......and even though my knowlegde of my chosen area of expertise is miniscule.....me too:twisted:

Certifications: HND Computing, procrastination+
    WIP: MCITP Developer, Bsc Info & Comp
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Personally I know of 2 people, both worked in IT, who left the UK this year to go to Oz. Not to mention a good few people here on CF's who have left the UK to go either to the US, Canada or Oz.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

Hm.I do not know how many IT guys from non UE work in UK. Personaly I have not met any.
    But I have met many from UE and they are still coming.
    So prepare-learn-get certified-etc. cause they are well educated.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  12. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Certifications: CIW Professional