Ugh. EPO Reinstall

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by zebulebu, Aug 28, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hey folks.

If anyone has any experience performing a clean install of McAfee's EPO in an organisation which already HAD an EPO server until recently, I'd like to hear of any gotchas that might be of interest before I install a new server.

The original 'server' was passed to me a couple of weeks back because it was poorly configured, set up on a workstation with as much computing power as an Etch-A-Sketch and kept falling over. I have spent the best part of this weekend getting to a point where I could call the directory structure clean enough to back up then migrate to a full SQL install (it was an MSDE installation at around 1.4Gb). I'd sorted all the IP conflicts, repopulated the directory and configured all the necessary Rogue System Sensors and Super Agents in each subnet.

What happens? HDD failure with about 15% of machines left to sort out. AAAARGHH!!!!

What I'm concerned about is, after I roll the new server out, install the software and recreate my directory structure, will the agents that are out there start reporting back to it properly, or am I going to have to uninstall the EPO agent from each machine before pushing it out again? The server will have the same IP address and hostname as the old one.

Any pointers or SNAFU advice would be great!

Cheers

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like a difficult migration. :ohmy

Not used that a particular software before but been in similar situations when migrating various networks. Daft question, but if the PCs do not report back to the server can you push the agent again anyway without having to reinstall? Also is there any config when pushing the agent, e.g IP address of the server to report to etc. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs