Ubuntu Linux No Longer Supporting Certification?

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by FreakyBeanz, Sep 23, 2010.

1. FreakyBeanz

FreakyBeanz Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at the Ubuntu Training on offer from Canonical, and they have an interesting quote on the "Ubuntu Professional Training - elearning course" (http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=533):

I know that "LPI 101 and 102" are now offered as the CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI Certification program.

From the quote, it sounds like Ubuntu have ditched certification, and now only require course completion to show someone's competency with Ubuntu Linux.

Does anyone know what's going on with this, and why they no longer offer certification?

If they have pulled out of offering certification for what is, possibly the most popular version of Linux at present, does this devalue the CompTIA Linux+ Certification?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    Certifications: RHCT
    WIP: CompTIA Linux+
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

If they have scrapped the certification then it was probably due to it not being popular or financially viable. To be honest Ubuntu whilst arguably the most popular mainstream Linux wouldn't spring to mind if I was going to use it in the commercial environment as I think Redhat leads the way on that.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. FreakyBeanz

FreakyBeanz Bit Poster

Redhat have certainly been the defacto standard for Linux in the business arena for sometime now, and no one can dispute the fact that the RHCE is seen as the pinnacle of System Admin certification. However, Ubuntu are making in-roads into the server market, and even offer "Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud" training!

I can see with the economic situation that even with Linux, companies are going to start looking at cheaper options than Redhat to reduce their total cost of ownership, as Redhat support isn't exactly cheap.

Certifications: RHCT
    WIP: CompTIA Linux+