Typical problems to resolve on helpdesk

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by runiu, Mar 2, 2007.

1. runiu

runiu Nibble Poster

Hi

Can you tell me what are the typical problems in helpdesk?
    Can you tell me also what are typical solutions to those problems.

Cheers

Certifications: A+, MCTS: Vista
    WIP: MCITP
  2. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Try these links they may help.

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15344

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You're going to get a wide variety of answers here as helpdesks are different place to place. Anyway see here for an example:

"What the Helpdesk does do
    The helpdesk is primarily for ICT support; that is, IT services and infrastructure support. This broad description encompasses such elements as: -

Most (but not all) of the college IT hardware (computers, monitors, scanners etc)
    Printing and photocopying (both configuring programs for effective printing, and hardware issues such as printer failure and print accounting)
    Logging on to networked resources (computers, printers)
    Email access (including best efforts support for the Webmail)
    Enable wireless access to the Ravensbourne network
    Access to the College intranet
    Issues of student storage and access to software installed on ICT equipment

What the Helpdesk doesn’t do
    The Helpdesk doesn’t offer training or tuition for the programs installed on our systems.

The helpdesk doesn't support personal laptops other than assisting with installing and configuring the 802.1x TTLS client for network access. Anything else to do with personal laptops is outside the scope of the service. That includes troubleshooting problems with laptops that stem from the laptop itself (driver problems, Windows networking issues, out of date anti-virus that isn’t straight forward to update). It is up to the laptop owner in question to make sure that their laptop meets the requirements for network access (see separate document).

Helpdesk doesn’t provide support for hardware that is under the direct management of the School of Communications or the School of Design directly (examples: the editing suites, CnC milling machines) or the user's own problems with Internet access and usage.

Helpdesk does not sell print credits. Please go to the college shop instead." - rave.ac.uk

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. runiu

runiu Nibble Poster

Hi
    I know that problems can be vary but what kind of problems can be resolved over the phone?

Cheers

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Ok, here are some examples:

1. User error's (eg not using an application properly, etc),
    2. some log-on problems (eg user passwords, talk thru IT basic troubleshooting steps with customer, etc),
    3. some system error's/problems (eg Windows errors, not BSOD/PMD) if you use a program like NetOp, etc.
    4. Informational queries, eg system is down, user doesn't know and what to find out what's happening, etc

There are more, but I'm going to lunch now

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

basically any problem that a user may encounter, will be required a fix and thats by you, if you can't fix it, you will assign the call to Tier2, unless ofcourse there are certain apps/hardware you dont deal with and need to be dealth with by a third party or tier2, or a totally different team.

your originally post here explains it aswell, some more scattered here and a few more here.

search the employment section of this forum, and you will find loads... but hope these few helps.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You sure are stressing out over this help desk job... :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. runiu

runiu Nibble Poster

Of course...
    That's my first interview and possibly first job in IT

9. BosonMichael

Possibly? Didn't you say in another post that they offered you the job?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. runiu

runiu Nibble Poster

That's right but I'm waiting for response from other company...so I haven't decided yet which one I'll choose...:)

11. BosonMichael

Don't make them wait too long... they might decide they'll hire someone else if they can't wait any longer for you.