Typical job roles with CCNA quals????

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by momo101, Oct 4, 2004.

1. momo101

momo101 New Member

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of enrolling to do CCNA course at my local academy. At the mo, I'm a web programmer and I'm tired of sitting all day in front of the PC and looking for something more hand-on / practical... I was just wondering if anyone can describe typical jobs they have done related to CCNA, how practical they were or was it mainly sitting in front of the PC most of the time troubleshooting etc....

Much appreciated...

Momo10

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

it will likely be the starting point into a network administration/support career, which, undoubtebly requires a fair ammount of time sitting in front of a computer, most computer related jobs too

but you will get the physical asspect too, cabling, troubleshooting problems that are not config related
    deploying new technology, and user support

so a bit more versatile than web development :)

Good luck with your CCNA :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

I did mine along with several other certs a while back.

I pack shelves down Tescos

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  4. Appz

Appz New Member

I assume thats soley out of choice??

Im thinking of doing the CCNA along with the degree im studying but not sure if time will permit it.

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I think that it might be more a necessity to be able to eat while he does his certs and finds a job in IT. Of course I could be wrong, nothing unusual there.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

While I admire you trying the CCNA along with a degree, the CCNA takes a lot of work - particularly if you don't work with Cisco equipment. Don't take on too much.

The CCNA is regarded as one of the toughest exams about - tougher than any exam I did on my degree. The pass mark is 85%; you cannot review any questions; you are pressed for time & you must perform labs on a router sim, multi-answer multiple choice & have a wide knowledge of networking.

Take Care

Scooby

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

the ccna is regarded as one of the hardest exams about?
    what sources are quoting this?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Three amin onse :-

Me, personally - not that that means much.
    Most of the dozen or so people I know whi did it along with me.
    The views of existing CCNA's who have recently re-sat the new exam. (See varoious forums including this one.)