Two ADSL modems

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Gaz 45, Jan 18, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Knock 'em, dead, Gaz. btw...sorry if I presumed too much in my advice. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Good luck with the interview mate!

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

And it's a "GO GAZ !!!!" from me too - all the best mate :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good luck from here too mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yup, cheapest way is a crossover cable, I am doing exactly that for a client as we speak. Cost to me one NIC 10 bucks as he has one built into one machine already.

I don't like the term modem used with ADSL, a modem is an analogue device (modulator > demodulator) which basically modulates an analogue carrier wave that is in the audio spectrum.

ADSL is digital like ISDN and therefore modem is not appropriate IMHO even though many use the term :x

Pete

PS good luck Gaz

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Cheers all. The interview went well, but I didn't get the job. Just banged off a load more applications though. On the plus side, just passed my first database design stage with computeach and can now get my hands on SQL! :onthePC :D

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

as I understood it, ADSL is indeed Analogue for the last mile, and as such does require a modem, albiet at a different frequency range of normal phone calls (hence the splitter)
    its a Cable modem thats an oxymoron, as the signal is digital to the home
    as far as I recall, been a few years since that kind of stuff :)

you have inspired me to dig up my old research :P

Shame about the job Gaz, im sure something will turn up for you though!
    all the best! and good luck with your SQL stuff, its a challenging beast, but very powerful

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Phoenix you are correct and thanks for setting me straight :oops: I was assuming ADSL was more like cable and ISDN. It is the *D* for digital that throws me, when in fact the signal is indeed analogue :rolleyes: albeit modulated with digital.

Your comment forced me to do some research (googling) and I found this amongst other texts on the subject...

Traditional POTS uses a narrow 4-kHz base band frequency to transmit analog voice signals. This means that even with sophisticated modulation techniques, current modem technology can only achieve throughput of up to 56 kbps (downstream 56 K; upstream 32 K).​

To attain much higher throughput (up to 8 Mbps), ADSL uses a frequency range from approximately 20 kHz to 1.2 MHz. Frequency division multiplexing (FDM) creates multiple frequency bands to carry upstream and downstream data. The lower 0 to 4 kHz frequency range is reserved for POTS service. The frequency band from 25 K to 138 K is used to transmit upstream data, and the larger, higher frequency band from 138 K to 1.1 MHz is used for downstream data.​

Tough luck Gav! I believe in fate, you will get the job that is right for you. This one clearly wasn't meant to be!​

Cheers,​

Pete​

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)