TV is getting worse now.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Then. Don't. Watch. Them.

A show like this does give people a realistic insight into the fact that there ARE stunning people out there that are disabled. These women want to be models, and for some it was evidently a childhood dream - I hope they prove the 'system' wrong as modelling is a tough career to get into, full of stereotyping and chain-gang fashion following. The public has no input to this show, it is purely on the merit of the women who are attempting to suceed. In this way, it's not following the yawn-inducing puerile format of the reality shows pumped out in recent years.

I like that some shows give people the opportunity to suceed, but others are total balls. So I just don't watch them. If you don't watch them, the ratings for the show format go down, and they become a less lucrative way of drawing in viewers and voters. The stations would then (presumably) be less inclined to come up with 'new' (don't make me laugh) ideas on what to put on our screens.

Whilst I disagree whole heartedly with Fergal about football (which I love) I would also love to see more diverse sports on our screens. Okay, I can go see the Coventry Blaze to sate any ice hockey impulses I have, but how about baseball, NFL, Australian Football, tennis (when it isn't Wimbledon)... instead of effing Gladiator! Stations maintain this nauseating procession of reality shows to draw voting viewers and therefore revenue, when they could air sports (which may (or may not)) aid and abet the fight against childhood laziness and obesity, and they could still make their revenue from advertising, etc.

Yeah, so, in short, TV does suck quite quite badly, but at least the show in the main aim of your rant does give people a genuine opportunity and gives an insight into disabilities, which a lot of people don't understand (I don't have any disabled relatives or friends, for example, and this is not through choice.).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Let me just make these points and run: -

1. - I love reality tv shows. Biggest Loser, America's Next Top Model, Britain's Next Top Model (damn - every country has a Top Model it seems these days) Big Brother etc etc etc. Mind you, I never watch the crap as it bores the living ****e out of me :blink The reason that I love em is that the misses loves em and that my friends, means I get to do computer stuff whilst all that reality tv crap is on the tv. I pettition for more reality tv shows to give me more computer playing time :biggrin

2. - I personally think the Top Model shows are actually quite dangerous and warp the ideals and self worth of vulnerable young girls. It seems on every show they have a couple of token "+ size models" where they are then told by most of the peeps in the industry that they are too large for "high fashion". Seems a load of balls to me, especially seeing as the girl that fronts the US ain't exactly a size 10 (uk clothing sizes of course).

3. - tv is ****e GBL and always has been. We all remember the great shows of old (Faulty Towers, Only Fools and Horses etc etc) but seem to forget that those great shows were surrounded by ****e shows - like 2 weeks of Wimbledon, damn I hate that. Tennis I find boring and back in the days before Sky, the BBC used to take Star Trek off for two whole weeks whilst some dicks grunted and hit a ball over a net. I have always resented that:x

Thats it, I'm pretty neutral on the subject apart from that

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I met her once and got her autograph :p she is even better looking in real life:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I don't watch much on commercial television, I can't remember a single programme I've watched on ITV for a while, its the lowest denomination television possible. Channel 4 sometimes has some interesting stuff on but you really have to catch a trailer, although the comedy that comes out on there is usually way ahead of the utter crap sit-com rubbish you get on the other channels.

What gets me down is when the BBC attempts to keep up with the commercial channels by basically copying the format of drivel of shows like X-Factor to win a phoney ratings war. Its licence payers money that could be better spent.

I only look forward to waking the dead on the BBC, although I love the radio so my licence fee gets used.

"I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book." Groucho Marx

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Borat vs Pamela Anderson - Ding round 2 :D

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I really don't watch TV much anymore. There's so much else to do! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Cool, where did you meet her?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  8. greenbrucelee

I was down in London and my nephew had won a competition to go to the premier of garfield or garfield 2, but he had to be accompanied by an appropriate adult so I went :D. He got his picture with her and the bloke, I got her autograph.

9. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

That doesn't happen every day! Nice one :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  10. greenbrucelee

I still think she looks better with long hair like in I know what you did last summer.

11. Robs12

Robs12 New Member

Jeezo... Family Guy, South Park... I've stumbled onto the right place here!

Just been at Uni for three years, so I've perfected the art of spending all day watching TV. Any Heroes fans? Prison Break? And considering where we are... any fans of the Big Bang Theory?

Certifications: BA(Hons) Music
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  12. greenbrucelee

I actually watched the repeat of missing model last night, and I must say I have changed my mind.

The idea is whoever wins is a spokesperson for disabled people and hopefully they can make a gatewaty for disabled people to be in the model industry.

At the end of the show there was the usual get rid of one of them, so one of the models had to leave. It came down to a girl who had a prostetic leg and one who was deaf.

The judges were arguing that the deaf girl couldn't be a spokes person because she could only communicate by sign language and wouldn't be able to hear what people asked her.

And the other girl didn't have a very good picture from the photo shoot. They decided on keeping the deaf girl but after the other girl had left all of the judges apart from one said we've made a mistake but they couldn't go back on the decision.

I would have to agree with them, the girl with the prostetic leg would make a better model but it also shows how segregated deaf people are in society as they have difficulty communicated with people who can't do sign language.

So I have changed my mind this show may turn out to do something good for reality TV instead of the rest of the ****e like x factor and big bother.

13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I also don't watch too much TV, however there are shows that I like. I watched Big Brother(the us version) and found it to be pretty interesting, but then again I only watched one season instead of 8 or 9 of them, same thing goes for american idol, etc. I don't watch these shows every season because I find they get boring quickly. Aside from that I'll watch a movie on the weekend and 2-3 shows throughout the week and thats it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Pffft. That's what lip reading is for. And there are plenty of ways she could communicate her thoughts to others.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!