turned down computeach, what now?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jocks, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Jocks

Jocks Bit Poster

Dear people, I was already to sign up for computeach when I came across this forum, and then I decided not to sign because of some of the comments that were posted here.
    But now I am stuck again, i don't know what to do. Computeach were offering me a C# .net programming course because I said I always wanted to work in computer games, he said this was the way to do it, and also said there was plenty of other jobs available in this subject aswell. Now I don't know what to do, am stuck. I've always wanted to work with computers, always like them. If anyone could me any advice or know were I can get advice from I would be very grateful

Yours Jocks

2. Jocks

Jocks Bit Poster

sorry bout the spelling

3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Hi Jocks.

Why is your spelling and grammar so bad?

Programming takes a great deal of diligence, not to mention the possession of an aptitude for this type of work.

Are you sure your suitable for this type of work?

Read up on programming, download a free programming software:
    Check out 'Python' for starters.
    Download the Java package, which is also free.

Why the rush to find a training provider?
    The salesman won't have a clue what's involved in programming, so take no notice of what he says.

Do what I've suggested before committing yourself to something you may not even like.

Good luck:!:

4. Jocks

Jocks Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice flex22, it was just that I spelt computeach wrong. The only reason I want to rush is because I want to start learning and getting skills. Am not getting any younger and I don't really like what am doing now. Thanks alot for the advice and I will look at python and java as you have have advised and I will let you know how it goes.
    A friend has told me about a course in the local college by mine its called A+. Has anyone done this course is it any good and if so what is it good for (what area of IT).

Jocks

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Jocks

Take a browse HERE for the forums A+ boards. If you surf through that lot, you'll find all the info you need :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

Hi Jocks,

Look at www.comptia.org, they oversee the A+. It is good if you want to become a computer technician but limited wrt programming.

If I were you I'd do the course at the college if it is cheap (if you are on benefits it can be £100 in some areas) as you will learn a whole lot about the induystry in general, maybe find a route you didn.t know about, or discover the hardwork and poor job prospects aren't what you expected.

Good luck Jocks and well done for avoiding Conuteach, they are developing a very bad name for themselves,

Shaun

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Guys,

Just a gentle "nudge" if you could have a look HERE at our recently updated stance on comments on training providers. :D

Thanks a lot :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Jocks

Jocks Bit Poster

the A+ is 180 quid and you have to pay for the exams seperately. Its starts on thursday though, I have just been speaking to my mate and hes signed up for it. Not sure if its to late to sign up for it.

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hey Jocks - have you thought about studying off your own back for this ? How much experience do you have with PC innards at the mo ? It's quite feasible that you could go down the self-study route for a whole lot less $$$. Basically, the cost of the book, and the exam, plus a whole load of free help from this place.

Just an option tho .... HTH :D

10. Jocks

Jocks Bit Poster

Well, it seems a little bit daunting Jakamoko to do it myself but I do have quite abit of experience with the inside of computers I have built my own. Except my first computer everyone after that I have built myself, had about 5 computers all together. Had 2 in my room once and had them connected on a very small network.
    I have been to college to, I did a GNVQ Advanced in IT if that means anythin to anyone, it didn't really help me. Also did a part time Java course along with it which I found difficult and I got alot of help from the tutor but I did enjoy most of it.
    Also did an IT practitioners part time course, it was a good course but some of it was abit to easy. I did some networking in this course which was good but the tutor wasn't great, I didn't know if he was coming or going lol, if that makes sense.
    How do I find out what book I need etc.
    Thanks Jocks

11. Jocks

Jocks Bit Poster

Shaunyboy what did you mean when you said hard work and poor job prospects

Thanks Jocks

12. culp

culp Bit Poster

Speaking as someone who didnt turn down Computeach, the advice from Flex 22 is spot on in my (not even remotely) humble opinion

Certifications: CIW
    WIP: Sun Certified Programmer
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Only one answer to that, my friend - HERE

HTH :D

14. Jocks

Jocks Bit Poster

thanks alot for your help, cheers. I will have to look into it and have a long hard think about it. :blink

15. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd say the Mike myers book is the one to have if your going for your A+.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  16. doctorlegg

doctorlegg Bit Poster

Jocks,

I'm in the same boat as you and I've decided to go along the self study route using the book Si has mentioned above. I've found it to be excellent so far, although I'm only about 1/4 of the way through, and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

It's definately worth trying IMO and if it works out for you, you've saved stacks of cash. If it doesn't, then it's not that great a loss in relation to the price of some of the courses available. As I say, well worth giving it a try and seeing how it goes.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do though!

Cheers,
    Derek.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    WIP: A+
  17. Jocks

Jocks Bit Poster

Thanks for that Derek, erm this may make me look stupid but what does IMO mean ?:oops:

18. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In my Opinion

You can find a few more here

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  19. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

I think the A+ is a worthwhile course to do, im quite looking forward to starting mine this week.

Looks like i'll be picking up the mike myers book as well [​IMG]

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  20. Jocks

Jocks Bit Poster

Hello Quackers don't I know you :)