Trying Out Ubuntu 7.10

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by JohnBradbury, Nov 26, 2007.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Hi guys,
    apologies for the bandwidth issues. Like freeloader noted the site has been a victim of it's own success :oops:

This has now been sorted out and the videos are available for download again :D

This has delayed the third video in the series but I will be posting this later tonight.

2. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Hi John, just want to say I'm enjoying your videos, looking forward to the third. Was in your position less than a month ago, was trying to install ubuntu on my desktop so i could try all the great desktop effects, gave up after I ran into graphic card issues, but these vids have renewed my interest.

Was really impressed with ubuntu myself.

WIP: LIFE
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Which card do you have and what problems did you run into?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. JohnBradbury

Video three has now been posted :D

5. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

ATI Radeon 9550 256mb

WIP: LIFE
  6. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's very good John thanks for making it available.

One thing i will say is that Windows does not support playing DVDs natively, ie out of the box, there are no DVD playing codecs included.

It usually appears to work because the software that comes with DVD drives always has something like Win DVD or Cyberlink DVD soloutions etc. So, the bundeled software includes the necessary codecs for playing DVDs. I belive this is the case with Vista too.

So, Ubuntu is in the same situation as Windows with that regard.

keep up the good work 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. JohnBradbury

Bluerinse any Edition of Vista which has media centre includes a DVD codec as part of the package. So whilst it isn't supported natively it is supported out of the box.

On the whole testing Ubuntu was a really good experience. It's a shame there aren't that many Linux jobs down my neck of the woods or I could have been tempted to move in that direction.

The main thing that appeals to me is how flexible Linux is. Just looking at some of the devices it runs on here.

There is also an element of cost. I can't walk into most small businesses and implement advanced solutions such as clustering etc... because the licensing costs of Windows push it out of the reach of their budgets.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Developing Linux/UNIX skills isn't a bad idea, even if there are no jobs in your area that could take advantage of those skills (at this time, anyway). You can gain a great deal of experience in a variety of technologies using open source solutions rather than paying for proprietary software (MySQL vs. MSSQL for example). Also, whenever you develop particular skill sets and people become aware of your abilities, jobs seem to find you.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That would be 'Home Premium' and 'Ultimate'.

This is true John thanks for putting me straight.

For more info on Vista's MPEG-2 (DVD) playing capabilities, check this link..

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx#DVDDecoder

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

found this useful link about gutsy gibbon :)

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640