Trouble Shooting process question

Discussion in 'Network+' started by TimoftheC, Sep 11, 2007.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

OK

I have been doing a few of the practise exams to prepare myself for the Network+ exam. There is a question type in particular where the answer seems to be strange to me and impractical in real life re: -

The question is the sort where “you are contacted by a user who cannot log into some server or other” and you are required to either list the trouble shooting steps to take or the best step out of a list of possible steps to resolve the issue. The answer is often given as “to try and log in with the user's details from yours or another location” to try and isolate/discover the extent of the problem.

Now, the problem I have with that is that the user's password should only be known to the user and they should never divulge it to anyone, not even the trusted networking peeps. How then, can logging in as the user be a valid answer and/or a troubleshooting technique when to do so would probably break your own security policy?

Or am I missing something?

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

In a real life senario then yes you are indeed right, although I suspect it may be a poorly worded question and actually means get the USER to try logging on from elsewhere.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Agreed logging in with the users account is a very bad idea. Real life answers would be to get the user to log into another pc in his/her office to confirm if it is the clients account or computer thats at fault.

Also getting another user to log onto the faulty pc helps.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep I agree with the other answers given.

If you are the admin then you would try to get the user to log in from another comp, if that fails then you can assume the user is at fault and would have to give the user a new password/user name.

If that worked then you would assume the system is at fault.

Hope this helps 8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

good - I'm glad you guys agree with my understanding :D

I plan to do quite a few of the practice exams over the next week or so and if it comes up again I'll post it here and say exactly where it comes from. I thought the question was from the Mike Myers CD but to be honest, I can't remeber where it cam from, although I've seen it more than once.

Thnx guys

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Keep in mind that some practice exams are written by people who have NO experience in the IT industry. Unfortunate, but true.

Unfortunately, the people who write the exams for CompTIA aren't guaranteed to be the cream-of-the-crop either. When CompTIA revises an exam, they send an e-mail out to several (all?) of the people who have passed the exam in the past and ask them to come to Chicago (at the individual's expense!) to write questions for a small daily stipend. I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound too appealing to me. As a result, CompTIA's exam questions are sometimes badly worded and/or not "correct in the real world".

Thus... it's not always the fault of practice exam companies for poor questions... they might just be trying to lead you to a correct answer on a poorly worded CompTIA question.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!