Trouble after joining a machine to domain remotely

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Leehaa, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Do you know why a machine wouldn't recognise a domain after being joined to it via VPN from home?

I did this to a machine and have bought it into work and it won't recognise anything - asthough it doesn't have a network card.

It doesn't pick up on a network connection, and when you do ipconfig, it doesn't even come up with an ipipa?? just goes back to C:\documents and settings...

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...something to do with the hosts file? Surely it would at least recognise it has a network card though?

3. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

If it doesnt recognise the network card it has nothing to do with the host file.Fix the network card issue first before trying to join it to the domain.

Check device properties are there any errors?

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Doh!

Yes there are errors...

One for the network adapter, and one for the display (I installed a new graphics card in the machine....)

Is it worth uninstalling/re-installing drivers for both (drivers are u to date on both) ?

Cheers

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

How were you connected from home? Was it wireless or wired? Do you have hardware profiles on the PC? Is it a wireless profile, and the card has been turned off?

(slightly less advanced questions... :oops:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hello - It was wired straight into to a wireless router lol.
    It doesn't have wireless capabilities and no wireless profiles

7. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

YA unistall the driver and then when you re-install it make sure u installing the correct drivers for the device.

8. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

This turned out to be a conflict caused by the new graphics card getting the same memory sectors assigned to it as the onboard graphics card (...which I guess it then realised and tried using different allocation which conflicts with the network device...?)

Anyway, after uninstalling the new card...then uninstalling onboard graphics drivers, then re-installing the new graphics card...it still wouldn't play...also an issue when you just disable the onboard graphics card drivers...

...when you uninstall the onboard graphics card, it re-installs itself..and there seems to be no option in the BIOS to disable it...

...In the BIOS, there's no option to change the settings...and in device manager you can't either (logged in as local admin)...tis crazy...

...took machine back to the people I ordered it from (PC World - chose them because they were the only people who could get something ready for me urgently) and the guy seemed familiar with the issue "we'll take a look at it but probably can't fix...and won't be able to look until tomorrow" :dry

...so i've left it with them for now as it passes the buck onto them whilst I sort out all the other outstanding requests...

...then I'll research it - if it is known, there must be a BIOS update or solution out there for it??!?:blink

Edit: At the end of the day though, none of this is my fault - I should have just been firm and told them to sort it or give me a new machine as soon as the issues started...however because this is the first time I have been left in charge...and I am a 'lady'...I wanted to prove a point and solve it. Unfortunately though, proving a point has probably made it look worse lol - ah well, we learn from our mistakes eh!!

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If it's any consolation Lee, I think that most of us here would have also done the same. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

There is occasionally a jumper setting on the board still these days for turning on board graphics off, however most boards I have seen in the last few years realise when a new graphics card has been inserted and turn the on board one off.

Also it sounds like to me that the guyg when you go in tomorrow will go "oh, it was tough <insert made up technical explanation here> but I managed it for you that will now be &#163;70 ta very much"

Just be wary of that happening.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

All of the guys have seemed have covered all options bar this....

Boot up and let Windows detect both. Disable on-board through device manager (DISABLE not UNINSTALL), reboot. Tadaa.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  12. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...hmm I left it until late this afternoon, then called and they still hadn't figured it...so went to pick up and the guy was unbelievably rude...plus he didn't put it back together properly, handed it over and I had to ask if he could give me the instruction leaflet for the graphics card that he had left on the table....and one of the blanking plates that he hadn;t put it...then didn't put the cover on correct....and there's a missing screw!!!

...I have replacement screws / blanking plates etc but that's beside the point!!

Anyway rant over...

...just spoke to HP and they asked me to google the graphics card i'm putting in and download the latest drivers for it...after I had explained I tried all that.....so then asked if they knew about how to disable the onboard one...and she went quiet...I just told them not to worry, said have a nice afternoon and am now sulking....GRRRRRR! :(

...There is a set of jumpers on the motherboard...no idea what each one does though...they are away from any of the onboard devices though...nothing about it on HP website...I'm afraid this is out of my realm - care to teach me?? :D

13. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

These jumpers got me thinking, so I googled the motherboard:

...got excited when it advised a slighlty different way to perform the installation...followed it to a 't'...set the PCI graphics card to primary in the BIOS again etc etc....but again, no joy!

..then, found this: tada: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01324212&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3686671

..and on there, noticed: "NOTE: Either integrated graphics or the PCI Express x16 slot are usable at one time; they are not usable concurrently. "

... the current graphics card I have is PCI not express x16....so I reckon that if I take it back and get an express one tomorrow it will sort the issue out (as onboard one won't even work in order to conflict...)

Really must get out more.

14. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

Do you understand the difference between pci and pci express.I doubt the graphics card you bought is PCI as that would make it a very old gfx card.

15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Believe it or not SuPaStA, they still make them and sell them too.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...yes (but assumed that as I had specified my requirements and they had selected the machine and card for me so I could pop in and pick it up, that it would all work fine - and save me time!)...

...yes it was PCI - why else would I make a point of changing it for an express??!

http://www.power-color.com/eng/products_features.asp?ProductID=1728

...the PCI express is now working fine.

17. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Sorry - missed this one. Yes, had tried that but still wasn't playing.

18. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Yeah the whole switch-around between AGP and PCI-E bypassed me too.

One day it was PCI.

Next it was AGP (the new big thing)

Then... they went back to PCI.. but in an express form.

Suffice it to say you need to check your hardware for compatibility very carefully these days.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  19. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Deffo!!