Transitioning Exchange 2003 to 2010

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I used to love Hyper-V until today. *cries*

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

When migrating the mailboxes to the new server, it sounds like it was creating a hundred gigs worth of transaction logs (I guess you didn't enable circular logging or took backups in between mailbox moves), which sounds like one reason why 250GB wasn't enough due to the OS, apps and swapfile taking up considerable space as well... (in addition to the new Database you were filling up).

Hope the restore goes well. Did you check your disks for any errors? I've only had a Hyper-V merge throw an error once which resulted in loss of data (external USB disk, it was bumped during a merge process on one of my lab tests) but I was able to recover from this...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Palm-face :oops: Thinking about it, I enabled circular logging on the original Exchange server that I had, but not on the newer 2003 one, D'oh. Saying that the OS, App's (apart from Exchange) and the swapfile is on it's own partition.

Thanks, we hope it goes well as well. One thing that I'd love to say is that Modey is excellent at DR, so hopefully we'll be up and running soon enough :)

-Ken

EDIT; thank goodness for remote access, virtual machines and DPM otherwise we'd either have to go in or have work with no e-mail access next week :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate before performing any migration/installation the number one rule which you did is get a decent backup.

One thing I would say is I would recommend not installing any AV on the Exchange 2010 box until you have all mailboxes migrated and you are happy it is running.

I have lashed Exchange 2010 in my home environment, one server running as CAS and Hub Transport with the other as Mailbox.

I'm not sure what certificate you had in Exchange 2003, if it's a normal single SSL, I would recommend ditching it and getting either a SAN or wilcard certificate.

With 2010 perform the certificate request in Exchange 2010 itself rather than in IIS, go to CAS Server > Server Configuration > New Exchange Certificate which has a wizard. Once you import it just assign the Services to the server.

This way you avoid any autodiscover issues.

Good luck with the restore and migration mate!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Damn straight. Even though I have been working on and off trying to recover the VM most of the day, I don't mind as it's in the comfort of my own home. :)

Some quite bizzare and unexpected behaviour from Hyper-V though. I wanted to expand the VHD file and I knew in order to do this I would have to get rid of the snaphot tree, merge the various avhd's then expand it at that point. As soon as the VM shut down, one of the main avhd files (the largest one) spontaneously deleted itself. Unfortunately I didn't realise which one, so it's taken quite a while just to esablish what went missing. I found out and have now copied over a backup of the missing avhd file and the merge that should have started 6 hours ago, has now started.

I hope it works ok when it's finished, but that's yet to be seen. If it doesn't it's time to switch to a different plan, but that will set us back quite a few hours and will mean re-moving the majority of the mailboxes again. At which point, I'll hand over to Ken's uber exchange skillz.

The lesson I have learned today though is to do a full backup before trying merge snapshots. I suspect the problem could be related to the lack of space when Hyper-V tried to start the merge.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

To be honest we do have a decent backup solution in place, and so far it's been worth it's weight in gold. I just should have been extra paranoid before trying to increase the storage size this morning.

7. Shinigami

It's not such a big issue if you follow guidelines on AV exclusions, at least I have not had big issues but YES, AV running in the background during massive transactions can be an issue: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332342.aspx

Yes, the Microsoft recommendation is to use SANs. And powershell can be used to do all the cert work using commands such as:

Code:
    $data = New-ExchangeCertificate -GenerateRequest -SubjectName "c=com, o=company, cn=webmail.company.com" -DomainName company.com
    –IncludeAutoDiscover:$true –IncludeServerFQDN:$true –IncludeServerNetBIOSName:$true –PrivateKeyExportable:$true

Set-Content -path C:\CertRequest.txt –Value:$data

Import-ExchangeCertificate -FileData ([Byte[]]$(Get-Content -Path C:\certnew.cer -Encoding byte -ReadCount 0))

Enable-ExchangeCertificate -Thumbprint 5113ae0233a72fccb75b1d0198628675333d010e -Services IIS
    Gets it all done in a few copy pasted lines ;)

Are you using local disks or SAN storage? Probably the latter. But yes, space issues are an important factor in ensuring virtualization software from Microsoft works correctly (due to the fact that you can have dynamically expanding disks).

8. Kitkatninja

That's right, Modey not only backs-up the VHD's, but also the files within it :rocks

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. Kitkatninja

OK, the missing avhd files have been recovered and the merge started and finished. Out of the 1700+ mailboxes that we had to transition across 10 failed due to errors, which I believe is a good ratio.

On to the move of the public folders: What do I get, an error:

No existing Publicfolder matches the identity '\'

Not what I want first thing in the morning, however after a quick google, this came up. Long and short of it, I logged out of Exchange 2010 and logged in with another admin account that had successfully ported over. Presto, I can now create replication between the 2003 and 2010 public folders.

-Ken

10. Kitkatninja

Ok finding a few things out now that don't work as they should:

1. Public folders, while they have replicated - the data within them hasn't &

2. In OWA, when you send or forward e-mails it comes up with a whole sheet pointing to this: "An NSPI call failed while reading the member count of an address list" etc...

While researching, for the second error, a site suggest that this is due to IPv6 being enabled on the NIC's, so I've disabled it and currently restarting the server.

Let's see if that fixes it...

-ken

11. Shinigami

Microsoft strongly recommends against disabling IPv6 on their latest OS and supported applications.

All apps these days are coded and tested ONLY on machines with IPv6 enabled. Microsoft cannot guarantee that the application functions as expected with IPv6 disabled. Any support issues you raise with PSS will, if they find out, ask you to reenable IPv6 to keep Exchange 2010 at the level it was designed to function.

Also, some of Exchange 2010 features will cease to function if IPv6 is disabled, even if you don't use it on your network (i.e. no IPv6 support on your switches, routers, etc).

I would try to find an alternative to disabling IPv6 to fix any issues you experience with OWA. From my experience, disabling IPv6 has NEVER been the solution proposed to our customers in order to fix an issue.

12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Have to agree with Shinihami, disabling IPv6 normally causes a whole host of other issues e.g. DNS problems.

I would recommend enabling it mate.

For the OWA can you go into IIS 7 and then browse to the Outlook websites manually, try them all and see if you can browse to any off them. If you cannot I would recommend reset all the virtual directories and trying again mate.

Link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff629372.aspx

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  13. Kitkatninja

Disabling IPv6 didn't work anyway, set it back to what it was.

However I have now gotten to the bottom of why mobile devices (eg Windows Mobile, iPhones, etc) weren't able to connect and download e-mails, contacts etc...

Not sure why, but I've had to re-do the "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" by bringing up Properties/Security of the user account, click on Advanced and enable the checkbox "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent"

Presto, my iPhone has regained all contacts and e-mails...

On to the original two issues...

-Ken

14. Shinigami

It's a product group recommendation, I just follow their recommendations :)

Strange issue regarding your public folders... Just out of curiosity, do you have any plans to migrate "away" from them? Say, to Sharepoint? Some rumors say 2010 is the last Exchange version to support PF's (they did say this about Exchange 2007 as well tho').

15. Kitkatninja

Thanks mate for the resetting link. While it didn't resolve my issue, it has pointed me to another area. The OAB could not be updated, as it couldn't contact the server that it hosting it (the exchange 2003 server that was damaged by the power cuts - even though it's plugged into a UPS :rolleyes: ) it couldn't update.

I don't know if getting the comms back up between the Exchange servers would solve the last two issues we're experiencing, but it's a lead I didn't have before.

Well I can't do anything more tonight as I now need physical access to see what's up, so tomorrow is another day to work...

Thanks to everyone here for their help, while I seldom request assistance it's great to know that a you can get it here when you need it :)

-Ken

16. Kitkatninja

It's one of the things that I was considering, however our place brought in Moodle, so bringing in another system for our users to work with (at the minute) isn't high priority - especially when MS "brought back" PF's in Exchange 2010.

-Ken