Transferring software licenses.

Discussion in 'Software' started by tbone152, May 4, 2009.

1. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Hello people. Not sure if this is the right area to post this but I have a question regarding licensing. Basically does anyone know what the options are when a company goes bust and gets taken over by a a second company? The second company would be taking over most of the old business and buying some of the old PC's, Mac's and Servers but not sure what the options are with applications such as CS3/4, QuarkXpress, Office and various other's. I realise each may be different but wondered if there are known issues with such a situation.

This a all just hypothetical of course!

Thanks
    T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Companies do this alot of the time, to my knowledge if the company is bought out/merged by another company, all you have to do (in essence*) is to contact the software vendor to inform them of the changes.

-ken

*each software vendor may have different procedures, etc...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Thanks Ken. Do you know if the old firm can sell the licenses at all?

T

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

This came up at an MS Partner session in Reading a few years back. We were told then that lics can transfer but multi-volume lics cannot then be sold off by the new company (there are some salvage companies doing it and MS take a dim view). The new company can use them itself and re-register details with MS.

If the lics are FPP (retail boxed product) or OEM then there is no problem BUT the complete product has to be sold on i.e. you can't sell base unit's with an oem sticker as being legitimately licensed unless you provide the media with it as well. FPP would need the media and activation keys.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Thanks UKDS. I guess the old firm could sell the licenses at a knock down cost or get as much as possible for them then?

T

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

It's a very grey area tbh. easier if they're FPP but oem you have to sell it with the base unit and as a recon unit. As I said, volume lics are a no-no. Generally speaking (and I'm just talking MS here) they don't want to create a second user market for lics :dry

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)