Transcender Scoring

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Jaron78, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Bonjour Fellow IT buddies,

Excuse me for being stupid but could someone clarify the scoring system with Transcender?

Im under the impression that the 70-272 has a pass mark of 700, so Id assume that would be 70%. When doing the practice exams on Transcender, Im getting 75%, 85% etc and yet still comes up as a fail.

Am I missing something?
    Cheers

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

dont assume the exams (real ones) are out of 1000 because MS never publish this all they say is the pass mark is 700.

generally practice exams from places like transcender etc are harder than the real thing so if your getting 75/80% then you should be ok.

what scores do you get on the measure up exams that come with the MS press books (if you have them)?

FYI I only used the measure up exams and never passed any of them apart from the objective ones although I came very close to passing the certification mode tests and I still passed the real exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No, it doesn't. Nobody really knows what it means - just try to get as many right as you can!

Does the test engine allow you to define the pass marks? Some of them let you adjust them depending how rough a ride you want.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Jaron78

Fraid I dont mate. The CD that came with the book is scratched (Bloody second hand).
    But I was told the Trancender stuff is pretty good so assumed it would be OK.

5. Jaron78

Ahh theres me shot down in flames. Bloody Microsft :)

Afraid not, its just a case of selecting how many. You can go into sub categories etc but prefer to have a mixture in all honesty.

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you should be ok if your getting 75% in transcender

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's probably worth noting that test engines have a limited lifespan. Although many come with a huge number of questions and a variety of ways of chucking them at you, slogging away until you end up getting 95% usually means you're remembering the answers.

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

And they are also quite happy to say that if you get all the answers right, you get 1000. If you get all the answers wrong, you get 0. They won't say what 700 is though.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. Jaron78

OK, now I am worried :(

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Don't be worried.

If you're getting anything like 70-75% on a test engine you've probably picked up enough of the subject matter. If you're scoring low in any area, go back to the subject matter and go through it again.

Sometimes people get hung up on scoring well on the practice test and they just keep hammering away until they score well - but as I say, by then you've started to learn the answers rather than actually understand the subject. That's when you fall apart when the questions in the actual exam are different. Quite often you see people say 'I don't understand, I was getting 99% in the test exam, then I failed the real thing. Transcender must be rubbish!' Not so.

11. Jaron78

Ahh I see. Now that makes sense. Think of me at 10am on the 30th June :)

12. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I can't say what their policy is now since I haven't worked there in a while, but before Kaplan bought Transcender, the higher score required to pass the Transcender exams was intentional. In addition to what we felt were more difficult questions, we felt that requiring a higher passing score made the product more difficult and better prepared you to succeed on the live exam. If you could pass the Transcender at 80%, then passing the live exam at 75% would be easier. Regardless, it sounds like you're most of the way there. I would suggest focusing the rest of your time on the questions you're getting wrong, and then you should be pretty well prepared for the live exam. Good luck!

13. Jaron78

Thanks Josh :)
    Failed last time so really determined to nail it this time. Ohh and its the last day of the month so I have no choice ha ha

14. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

As was mentioned, 700 is not necessarily 70% in a real test, but it may be 70% in a practice test. No, Microsoft doesn't disclose if 1000 is the maximum score for exams, and it sometimes isn't. I've seen a few exams back in the MCSE 2000 days which had up to 1200 points, and recently I saw example exam print-out results at a testing center where all the black bars were filled in and the score showed 1000.

But those were just that, examples. But it's relatively safe to say that 700 will be pretty close to 70% (give or take 5%) and the actual exams are sometimes (more often than not) easier than the practice ones (but that might just be because after doing all those practice exams, you've built up enough knowledge and confidence to pass the real thing).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

16. KaplanIT Developer

KaplanIT Developer Bit Poster

Sorry for the late reply here, we've been woefully neglectful of the forums lately...
    BosonJosh got it right in that we raise the pass score intentionally to improve the effectiveness of the training tool. So in the Transcender engine, the default pass score for any given "exam" is 100%. This is, however, a setting you can customize to allow for any passing percentage you prefer. Go into Exam Preferences > My passing score is: x% and change that 100 to whatever you want it to be. Don't focus so much on that number (I know, easy for me to say) but rather on the individual topics/objectives score - as that's usually a better indicator of where you should focus your study effort.

Also worth noting, like the others have said, we can't replicate Microsoft exam scoring as they don't publish that info but we do weight our questions against the Skills Measured list published by Microsoft. This means the topic coverage and item pool in your Preset Exam Experience should mirror the spread on the exam. Hope this helps, most importantly BEST OF LUCK next week!

17. Jaron78

Many thanks for the comments Guys, Will update you when I know. Fingers crossed, not 100% confident I must admit.