Transcender... really that good?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Sacs, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Sacs

Sacs Bit Poster

A good and trusted friend of mine has recommended I purchase the transcender study kit for MCSD. He explained to me that he and a number of friends all used transcender to help study for and pass their exams and gain their MCSD’s.
    Now I did a short demo test that you can download from their site, but I’m still no convinced I need to buy this over the TestOut package I already have access to for an MCAD. Has anyone here got access to both or know of any documented comparisons between the two?
    I should state, its not me that worries about the cost... its the wife and spending £375 for the full set (or £130 per exam) not being defendable to a wife based interrogation will result in my death :ohmy

Certifications: BEng Degree
    WIP: MSc Degree, MCAD/MCSD
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I get the same thing when I bring another server home from work for my test lab, currently up to four so the idea of the room being an 'office' has gone out the window! 8)

Havent uses the Transcender material myself but Im sure someone will post a review soon 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am a Transcender fan. They are the closest legitimate thing to the actual experience of sitting a Microsoft exam. The questions are not the same but the explanations for their answers and the reference linbks they provide are invaluable in determining your weak areas and exam readiness. They should not be used until you think your are ready to sit the exam. They are not a substitute for a couple of good books and some serious hands on.

TestOut, I have never heard of :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Sacs

Sacs Bit Poster

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Looks good to me but as I said before Transcender is test prep software. You would use it to test your exam readiness, so that you don't waste money by sitting an exam when you are not ready. The package you already have is a full blown course. There is the difference, as I see it.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Fully in agreement with you here Bluerinse. :biggrin

There is a big difference with a full training package,and exam sim software.

I have used the Transcenders for the exams i have taken thus far,and i swear by them.

As Bluerinse stated,to test your readiness for an exam then its Transcenders that you need,they will show your weak area's,but you can not use them as a means to learn the exam objectives,only a full training package, books, etc will give you this.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've used a number of things in the past, but now I stick with transcender (and get the study guide too if it's available).
    It really is that good.
    But don't make the mistake of learning it off by heart, scoring 100% and thinking you are ready for the exam.
    It's not a braindump, it's a learning tool. It'll help you, but it won't give you the answers!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Transcenders rule! 'nuff said! :biggrin

9. Sacs

Sacs Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice guys, the testout package has a heck of a lot of mock exams and they look pretty much like the transcender ones. If anything I'd say they were a little harder than the transcender demo questions (though obviously this is not a big sample) and like transcender they have tried to follow the exam format as much as possible right down to the reports like those produced at a real MS exam.

I think I will see how I feel nearer the exam. If I feel I could benefit a great deal from them, I'll buy them. If I feel that they would not add huge value, I'll stick with the testout, some books, msdn library and a whole lot of reading and coding :biggrin