Training Where? Does it matter?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by bain, Sep 10, 2007.

1. bain

bain New Member

Dear All,
    Does it matter where I get my training from if it is in the UK or US considering doing MCDST via US on line to UK. Comments and answers would be very welcome.

Regards

Bain

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO it doesn't matter where you get training from. And you don't even need that - you *could* self-study it and save a bunch of money. :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I also agree with Harry. Just obtain the right books and you can study on your own, where ever you want.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I agree with the advice to self-study. That's what I ended up doing, and I think it is the only way to go. The vast majority of the so-called "training" centers out there are nothing more than examples of egregious exploitation of people's hopes and dreams.

I started my training in what was a supposedly highly rated training center. What a joke. The trainers had no real world experience. They pushed braindumps until I said something about MS might be interested to the see the posters on the walls with all the braindump sites listed, and then I was personna non grata after that. A training center will also put you on a time line, which means that even if you aren't understanding everything they will push you to test and move on when the time limit expires.

If you have the self-discipline to make sure you study on a regular basis, and have yourself a lab to work with, you can buy a lot of extra books on the areas you struggle in, and end up with a far better education than you could get from any "training" center.

One of the biggest gripes I have with these companies is that they will promise the moon, and then write so many disclaimers or backdoors into the contract that they never have to keep their word. So, if you do go with a trainer get everything in writing, and if they don't give you the signed promises, back out of the deal. Do not sign with them. If you do they will rip you off. If you don't believe me just read a few of the horror stories on this site or Google for customer complaints in this area. You will get a lot of returns to those Google searches.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. eternalangel

eternalangel Banned

self study and the structure of a course is what actulaly best i reckon