Training Provider success stories? (if any?)

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mattgrey, Mar 21, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

To my knowledge, your questioning is not upsetting anyone, Matt. :) Please, continue to ask questions. The more you know, the more informed you'll be when you are shopping for a good TP.

The only thing that has upset me in this entire thread is trollish behavior (not by you, Matt). There's absolutely no justification for disparaging an established forum member, particularly without knowing their whole story. Considering the members who have more than 5,000 posts in the past year, he absolutely knew who he was calling out.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Agreed. I'm just glad that he didn't rise to the bait - shows a great deal of maturity not to do that when someone is obviously ona wind-up

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Agreed.

4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Matt,
    Many of the regulars on this forum have experience in the IT-world, certification(s), and/or training partners. From those of us that have been in the industry, you’ll get responses based on our past experience(s). I hope that’s what you expected, because that’s what you’ll get :) .

Not all TP’s are garbage (rubbish?) but many are. If going the self-study method is an option - go with that. Try to give self-taught a shot, worst case scenario is you’ll see it’s not for you - you can always spend six-grand later – TP’s won’t be too disappointed :)

As for taking shots at the regulars... Let’s just say its pretty low-class knocking a group of people that go out of their way to help others. Many of the regulars have some history. From published authors, to folks that have been in the industry for decades, to others who are learning just like you.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes Matt continue to ask questions that is what CF is for. :)

Cheers

Thanks

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

Not sure if this was aimed at me, if it was I don't think I took any shots at anyone, if I did it was not intentional and probably a badly worded statement, and I apologise. if it wasn't aimed at me, I totaly agree:)

Certifications: none yet!
    WIP: A+
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It wasn't aimed at you matt, if you look on my post were I replied to the guy with 3 posts.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Okay, if we could just steer this around to get back on topic.

Anyone remember the gimp from pulp fiction? Don't make me have to get out my gimp suits for you lot and gimp you up.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Matt,
    It wasn't aimed at you. :)
    Just wanted to get a point across, but I should have made that clearer...

Giddy's right... :offtopic

10. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

True, 'dat. Thing is, as the employer, I'm the one providing the kick in the arse. Any tech I hire will need to have certain basic certs. I don't mind hiring someone without certs if I figure they can do the job, but once hired, they're gonna have my size 11 bouncing off their ass until they pass some exams.

BTW, I'd like to point out that I'm willing to pay for one exam and one re-write (hey, I've failed some too), some study materials, and even an exam sim or two so long as they come from a reputable company and aren't "dumpish". I'll do this because certs are important to my customers, I can charge more for work done by a certified tech, and I'm willing to cover the cost of that. Fair is fair.

So I'll provide a training budget and motivation. Or if that doesn't work I'll provide a pink slip. But I won't pay the kind of money a training provider asks for. I'd also prefer not to hire someone who needs that kind of environment, because, honestly, people who need hand-holding won't last long in my shop. I need self-motivated, self-directed learners who can Google up a solution to a perplexing problem in ten minutes flat because that's how the real IT world works.

Someone who brags up the extensive training they paid for in an interview is likely to get quietly weeded out in favour of the self-directed learner, as that's more along the lines of what I'm going to be looking for in an employee.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Absolutely. Couldn't have said it better.

Take note, people. This is important if you want to know how to impress an employer... because this is how an employer thinks.

Rep given... wish I could give it twice.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

No problem mate. I did it for you. :twisted:

It was a great post and new folks wanting to get into IT would do well to heed this advice. The older folks already in IT realise this already and that's what we try to get through to the new guys.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Guineapig

Guineapig New Member

Hello everybody,

Although I'm a newbie, I've been reading through this thread with interest and would like to thank everyone that posted.
    For the past 5 years I've been unoficially doing IT support (network, desktop, Server 2003 etc.) for the company I work for alongside my official job. I've now decided that I should really get some certification to support my knowledge and experience.

Having read through the posts in this thread and a few others, it's become apparent to me that I shouldn't really go straight for the MCSE, but start off with A+ and N+ certifications. My reasons behind this are down to the fact that (as posted previously) it would look a bit suspicious if I went for a job with an MCSE and no 'real' experience at that level. Plus as I would be starting at the bottom of the ladder (Support Technician), I woudl presume that whoever my employer was would have an influence over the direction I take - MCSE or down the Cisco route.

I was seriously considering going down the TP route until I started investigating threads such as these, but having looked at the level you need to be at to take th A+ exam I'm now thinking that I should just go for this as a starter.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sorry (especially to the OP) to hijack the thread, but I guess that you'll get a lot of posts on here of this nature:oops:

Many thanks,
    Guineapig