Training for career in IT

Discussion in 'A+' started by Come_On_You_Irons, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Come_On_You_Irons

Come_On_You_Irons Bit Poster

Hi all, this is my first post in here. I am looking to get into IT, I have a BTEC National Diploma in computer studies which I gained some years ago. I am currently off work with a ruptured achilles, and been reading Mike Meyers A+ All in one, and studying the Mike Meyers A+ Disks.

I am now considering taking on the Training camps accelerated learning A+/Network+ 7 day course to get certificate quicker before I have to go back to work. Can anyone give me advice on whether they feel this would be a good idea to get me into IT or would another course or certificate be more beneficial?

Certifications: A+, Network+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

First of all Hi - welcome to CF! 8)

Second please dont double most - just posting once we will all see it dont worry.

I agree with you doing the A+, it is a good foundation for anything else you want to study in IT. What i dont agree with is how you doing it. 7 days is not possible to learn everything in the A+ sylabus and i hope they dont provide you with some *other* third party *notes* to get through. There is also no way you will get into IT in 7 days.. 7 months maybe... but reading a book for a few days and doing an exam doesnt mean anything to someone looking to hire you. You need to show him you practically know what an A+ tech does.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Come_On_You_Irons

Thanks Zimbo, for replying. Sorry for posting so many times but my head is all mixed up, and I wanted some advice. Again sorry.

What would you advice me to do then?

I just want the best certificates I can get at the moment!!

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

its plain and simple no certificate will get you a job! They help but they dont get you one! A+ would be a good start but you need to really learn the material and not whizz through it in 7 days.. then Network+ then start looking at much higher up certs...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello M8

before taking those course or even going for an exam, have you tried transcenders? These get you ready for the exam and show your weak spots.

Transcender website

They are also explained on the prometric WS the place to go to take A+ exams.

prometric

You are more likely to pass the exams with these than doing a fast track course. You can book your exam online through prometric. 8)

However, I am inclined to agree with Zimbo there are no guarantees :ohmy sometimes is not what you know but who you know and being in the right place at the right time!

Good Luck!

Monkey :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. Come_On_You_Irons

Thanks zimbo. What would you recommend after Network+?

7. Come_On_You_Irons

Cheers for links mate, will look into them.

I take on board all you have both said, but I have wanted a career in IT for as long as I can remember, but have always put it off for one reason or another. I thought while I have this time off I would use it to my benefit and kicj my ass into doin something about it.

8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Since your going this route. I like to recommend some more links.

This website called cats or othwise known as rapid results offers classroom based learning and distance learning using
    CD-roms CATS

Also try Ezine articles they explain about the different types of certs out there. ezines

and one more for it jobs, just so you get an idea what's out there it jobs

Need anymore or get stuck!

Give us a shout! m8

Monkey :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  9. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

One thing at the time perhaps?

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  10. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

100% agreement on this. The certs may get you an interview, but only your knowledge and honesty will land you the job.

And also, don't set your initial jobs too high. You may have to get into someting you really don't like (like a call center) to get your foot in the door. It's called paying dues, and everyone has to do it.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  11. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Just to re-iterate what has already been said, the accelerated courses are designed for people who have the knowledge and just want to get upto speed and get certified. I thought I knew a lot but doing the A+ and N+ showed up a lot I didn't know!
    A certificate is no guarantee of a job but it will help to show that you know your stuff. I don't know how much you remember from your BTEC or what the syllabus included but the Meyers book is an excellent read and will certainly help you get the A+, but it wouldn't hurt if you've got access to a couple of PC's to start messing around with to put the theory into practice and cement your understanding of the theory.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA