training for A+ in North London Area

Discussion in 'A+' started by danvan, May 26, 2008.

1. danvan

danvan New Member

I am a new member so thanks in advance for any help

I am considering the A+, but remember what i was like at college and would definitely prefer a classroom based program - even a fast track program. Can anyone reccommend a good company that offers this course in the N. London/S. Hertfordshire area? I have found several online but i am really unsure which one would be best as some may only be interested in 'selling' me a course.

Also, with limited IT experience, is the A+ a good start if i wanted to offer residential PC support?

Thanks for any help.

Certifications: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Like I said on your other thread look at your local college if you want classroom based learning (although you can teach yourself by getting an old PC and practicing things yourself), most of the online places will be a rip off and will over certify you which is a bad thing.

Yes the A+ is good to do IT/PC support.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. systempsyche

systempsyche Nibble Poster

i recently passed the a+ by reading books i purchased from amazon, (mike meyers all in one) and i found that i passed within 4 weeks, it depends on you're budget and on your determination. I personally want to get N+ security+ MCDST and MCSA don by the end of this year.
    As previously mentioned by other poster I would not recommend doing online courses as they are a rip off and can cram too much in 5 days which doesnt help you in long run.

Certifications: A+, network+, server+, mcdst, mcp, ccent
    WIP: mac integration, ACSP, ACTC
  4. danvan

danvan New Member

thanks for the reply - that is encouraging. I have seen many recommendations for the Mike Myers book, is that the one you used? i saw one today that had about 1,000 pages

Certifications: A+
  5. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Its a big book, if you buy it make sure you get the 6th edition because that is the current one and covers the current tests.
    Dont be daunted by its 1100 pages, some of the pages have pictures and diagrams that take up the best part of a page not that that actually makes it a much shorter read.
    I find it to be a very interesting and informative read and it fills in a lot of knowledge gaps and you will be surprised how quick the pages fly sometimes, if you get chance to sit and really have a good uninterrupted read (for me ideally pc off lol).
    Also at the end of the day if the information is relevant to the subject then it needs to be in the book, there may be shorter books out there but they will either have less information in (not good) or assume too much or be too vague (not good).

At the end of the day the books about £17-18 on amazon, comes with a disc which features a few bits and 8 practice exams, you can buy it and try the self study method, if its not for you you have a cracking revision/reference book and 8 practice exams and can look at a different method. Im sure that its worth taking a punt at the £18 at the chance of maybe saving up to as much as a few thousand £££

WIP: A+