Training + Courses...help!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by nXPLOSi, Jan 29, 2007.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

Im currently working my way through A+ Essentials and have been for about 3-4 weeks. I do currently work in IT as an all round IT Support / Admin role in a small 50 users company.

I may have the opportunity to go on some courses funded for by the company, and am unsure on what courses to take, or whether to take them at all. Should I go on the two week A+ and the week N+ ?

The courses will be broken down into 3 and last 5 days each and I would be able to take them whenever they fit in with my shedule.

Or should I go on Microsoft based courses such as an XP and windows server 2003?

My overall aim is to work through A+, N+, MCSA... Im not sure whether going for the A+ and N+ would be a waste of a good opportunity or whether it could help kick start my cert goal.

Any advice will be great, thanks :twisted:

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I've just started (3 months ago) with my new company and they are more than happy to put me through courses to end in certs as long as it related to the job I'm doing (current mostly desktop support) - 70-270,271 and 272 I would have thought.

I've been studying for A+ for the past 6 months and hopeful to take both exams (2003 obj) before Easter - there is an argument whether I should even ask my boss for A+ and Network+ as I'm close to finishing A+ myself and Network+ isn't really my job.

If you plan to be with the company for a while, and they are more than happy to start with A+ and then allow you to work upwards - I'd take them up on it.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hey if your company is willing to pay for the A+ & Network+ courses for you, go for it. As it'll help you when you decide to go for the MCSA (the A+ & Network+ counts as the elective for the MCSA, and they don't expire).

The A+ & Network+ certs aren't a waste of an opportunity, they plus any future certs, combined with any IT experience will help/assist you in the future :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Quoted for Truth. Get the certifications while they're available to you. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the advice guys, A+ and N+ being an elective for MCSA is something I overlooked so thats another positive for them, along with being a great place to start on the ladder.

:twisted:

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012