Training company here to talk!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Connectivity, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Connectivity

Connectivity Bit Poster

Hi Folkes,

My name is Dan, I have been in IT training for over 6 years and i'm currently a consultant for a company called Connectivity. My role is to advise people on the best way to get into employment through training. I have excellent knowledge on the different study methods (online, instructor led ect) available, and the certs that are taught. I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

I will give my honest opinion, and keep the sales spiel to a minimum.

I have come across many of the training companies that are being discussed in this forum, some good, some bad. I know all the tricks that companies use to get you to sign on the dotted line, but personally i believe that honesty is the best policy.

Let me know if you have any questions, and i'll see if i can help.

Thanks for reading!!

Admin Edit (J): Moved to T&D forum.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I said hi in your original post but I'll say it here again.

Hi there, welcome to CF! :biggrin

3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi there,

Thanks for introducing yourself Dan.

My only question is regarding training materials. I understand that this will vary from company to company; as a whole though, do they only tell you 'what you need to know'. eg, see what the latest objectives are, stick to them, and add no meat to the bones?

I'm on a stickler with my training provider, as I think they do this; I'm happy that I'll pass at the end of the course, but not with as much knowledge as I'd have liked to have gained. The Certs in question would be Comptia (A+ N+) and CISCO.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hi Dan, welcome to the site. Thanks for being up front on who you are, would you be able to add this into your signature so people know on other threads (in case they dont read this thread).

Its good to have some reps from the training firms, etc. it allows a balanced discussion in any provider based threads, and is another good source of advice.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

welcome to the forums mate, hope you stick around for more than just a q and a session! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. Connectivity

Connectivity Bit Poster

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll try answering question as quickly as possible though i do see a lot of people every day.

Is it OK to put my contact number on the signature?

In response to the materials question from Arroryn; The books most companies give out will be from the vendor of the certification you are studying, ie Microsoft or Cisco. Mostly they give you everything you need to pass the exams, but there are always 'blips or faults' in programs or hardware that only experience will give you remedies to. I guess you are just starting out so i wouldn't worry about it too much just yet, once you get into employment your skills will develop and you will learn from others ways around certain problems.

i would probably need to know who you are studying with to comment further.

Cheers

Dan

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'll have to check with the other Mods about including a number in your signature, but personally I wouldn't.

You may find that if you upset someone in some way on this public forum that you start recieving unwanted phone calls.

In addition to that do you really want your number posted all over the web?

:rolleyes:

8. Connectivity

Connectivity Bit Poster

good point!

I'll try not to anoy anyone too much!

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Dan it's really good of you to be up front and post here offering help and advice.

We are discussing (behind the scenes) the best way to go about this because we have rules which we must all stick to. If you haven't read the posting rules, it might be a good idea to do so now.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you have a look around and familiarise yourself with what has been said here regarding training providers in the past and just get a general feeling for the forum and it's style.

Our staff will always keep a neutral stance as far as training providers are concerned. We do not want to be seen as being biased in anyway whatsoever nor do we support the notion that this forum is a place to stage an individuals rant.

Thanks again, we will let you know very soon 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

would just like to say that my training provider doesnt give M$ press books: they will give a manual of sorts which is from some company in the states and an EC2 book. hmm they did tell me though b4 i signed up that they gave M$ press books. better go ask. :blink

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  11. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Dan, i'd like to ask you: often when you go to a training provider for an interview, they make you take a test and stuff and say "there are only so many places available, bla bla" and then you find out that you passed the test and are "accepted" onto the course.

what i wanna know is: do they actually test you on anything or just make you take the test for the sake of it but tell everyone that they've passed so that they feel like, wow i've passed, you know, to boost their confidence to take the course?

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

So what, in your experience, is needed to pass an exam? Is that the focus of your training? To pass an exam?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  13. Daz

Daz Bit Poster

Hi Dan, I'm looking to re-train myself in the very near future, to get a job in IT do you think a recognised certificate such as A+, N+, MCSE etc are the best way to go or something like the Cerco or JBC trainig courses?

Thanks

Daz

Certifications: BsC
    WIP: ECDL
  14. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Hello Dan I sent you a PM :)

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  15. Connectivity

Connectivity Bit Poster

If you went to them with £5k cash would they refuse? NO!

It's a cleaver way to get you to want their product, and by making you pass a 'test' they are making you one of the 'special few'. What it boils down to is a neat sales process, dont you always want something more when you are told you cant have it!

16. Connectivity

Connectivity Bit Poster

Hi Daz,

I'm sure they are OK certs, but i would always recommend going for vendor recognised certification (Microsoft, Cisco, CompTIA). They are more recognised in the workplace and would carry alot more weight on you CV.

If you would like to have a chat please PM me!

regards

Danny

17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I agree. When people design and make their own certs they are only good to those who know their content and therefore value :blink

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

True, and especially so, if you emigrate.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)