Training advertised as jobs

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by soundian, Nov 3, 2011.

1. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Here's some advice for anyone who gets duped into going for a job interview only to find that they're selling training:

This advice is probably too late for the majority that visit here.
    I don't know whether there is a legal reason for those notices, but providing proof of training advertised as jobs to job websites might help keep those vultures off them.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

It maybe a bit harsh but if your stupid enough to fall for it then maybe IT isn't a good choice of career in the first place. It's up there for me for falling for postal lottery scams.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Young school leavers are in a pretty hard position right now, there are not a lot of jobs for them and uni fees have rocketed. The smart move is to look for a good position with training, determining who is on the level is going to be crucial.

I think most of us could have been conned in the right circumstances when we were 18...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  4. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

I believe your state of mind comes into play.

Everyone knows about the Nigerian 419 scam emails and Spanish Lottery "win" scams so you have to be very gullible to fall for them.

Phishing email scammers are targeting not only banks but also Twitter and Facebook users, though are still easy to spot (if your name's not on the email from a legitimate company then report it and bin it).

However, training companies using job adverts to sell a product is misleading, but the manner how they do it is convincing. They target people who are jobless and low in confidence (you don't have to be a school leaver) because it's these people (and I'll include myself here) who need a motivation kick, and the way they give you the spiel does this. And at least you get a useful product from them, extra training is always good. It's just the methods that get you to sign up that are a bit iffy!

It's not just these people that do this sort of confidence trick though - I recently had one "recruitment agency" offer no-experience jobs in IT, only for them to turn round and say my CV needs re-writing. They transferred me to a "colleague" who said they can re-write the CV for me for £50 (discounted from £90)!! And if I didn't do it, my confidence and motivation will get worse the longer I'm out of work etc. I took it instead to a Jobcentre Plus recommended independent agency who looked at it for free and said it was really good, it only needed a formatting tweak.

The moral of the story: if someone offers you something out of the blue at cost, consider your options and see if there are any cheaper or free alternatives.