Total Beginner needing help.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by jkmoreton, Aug 12, 2010.

1. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I'm not in IT now but I am currently trying to break back into the industry. When I started I had no certifications and just a couple credits for college courses that weren't IT related. So you don't have to wait until you have that A+ to start looking for a job. The job market is tougher now than when I got my first IT job but that's no reason not to start looking and applying for position. Look for 1st line help desk positions, independent computer stores that might need some help, or places like Best Buy, Fry's, Staples, Office depot, or whatever the UK equivalents would be. Volunteering is also a great way to get experience.

definitely get that A+ under your belt depending on how quickly you pick things up and how much time you can and do spend on it you should be able to get it done by the end of the year and then you'll hold the certification for life. Then the Net+ is, as said, the next logical step even if you are working on it and not able to sit the exam until next year in my opinion it is still worth it even though you would have to update the cert every 3 years. The knowledge and skills you'll learn are worth it and it can help you get that 1st or 2nd job. I don't know if you'll have time to get the MCDST before those exams retire but there's always the MCTS exams.

All the while you should be on the job hunt and working on building a network (a human network not a computer network)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  2. Special Brew

Special Brew Nibble Poster

Wow, Thanks for such a great reply. :D You have answered all my questions! I understand you guys get asked lots of questions a day, and proberbly the same bloody ones. I really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

I should be able to do this A+ fairly quick. I'm unemployed, okay at computers.. So need to get it done.:)

I was actually looking at 1st line help desk jobs, just felt i couldn't apply due to lack of '' hands on experience ''
    Also, i am terrible at interviews and feel being on the spot, i wouldn't be able to give good answers about computers etc.

I'm actually turning the first page of my a+ book in a few minutes time so wish me luck =].

Thank you again, :biggrin

Special Brew!

3. jkmoreton

jkmoreton Bit Poster

Hello, just after some advice, im studying mike meyers 7th edi and im just finished chapter 3 and it seems to be going quite well, bit difficult to remember all abbreviations of everything though? i also have james pyles street book, am i supposed to be reading both at the same time? does anybody know where i can get a anti static wrist strap and mat/bag from as i have an old pc so im going to use it to help me study? many thanks

Certifications: none
    WIP: ccna