Tips for Practical (702) Exam

Discussion in 'A+' started by Daryl42, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Daryl42

Daryl42 New Member

Hi. I was planning to take both the Essentials and Practical exam tomorrow morning. However, my Practical practice test results aren't very good. They are usually in the high 70%'s, whereas my Essentials is in the high 80%'s.

I do not have experience in the IT field. It says on their website that the Practical exam is recommended for those who have at least 500 hours in the IT field. I have experience at home, but not much. I find the practice questions to be open ended. In other words, "what should you do first?" In my opinion, who cares what you do first. Just do it. But hey, I'm here to pass the test before anything else. So I try to figure out what is the most practical thing to do, but that is not always very clear.

Would you guys/gals recommend that I take the Practical exam tomorrow? Would taking more practice tests really be all that beneficial to me?

Also, what should I expect out of the real Practical tests? Memorization? Or those, "what should you do first" type of questions? The practice questions on the CompTIA site for the 702 seem to be pretty similar to the Essentials questions.

2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

If you still have time I would go ahead and reschedule. Taking both on one day might be a bit much anyway. Give yourself a little time to study the areas you are weaker on. Comptia definitely makes a big deal out of the troubleshooting steps and actually they just make good sense in real life but comptia may take it a bit far.

many of the practice tests are actually harder than the real thing but still I would reschedule give yourself some more study time.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. Daryl42

Daryl42 New Member

I just took both tests this morning. I tired to reschedule the 702 but was unable to according to Pearson VUE because it had to be done 1 day prior.

Thankfully, I scored 756 on the Essentials and 825 on the Practical. I ended up scoring better on the Practical than on the Essentials. Pretty interesting.

I just found out that the Network+ and Security+ exams will require renewal every 3 years if taken after January 1, 2011. I guess it's time to get back to work.

4. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

congrats on the pass!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nice one 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)