Tips for passing the A+ (2006)

Discussion in 'A+' started by no1youknowz, Oct 6, 2007.

1. no1youknowz

no1youknowz Bit Poster

For those that have passed the exams:

I've picked up both :-

Mc Graw Hill - All in One CompTIA A+ Certification Exam Guide - Sixth Edition 2007 (Mike Meyers)
    PC Technician Street Smarts - J. Pyles (Sybex, 2007)

Will probably finish both by Saturday next week. :biggrin

Is there any other tips you guys can recommend?

For example, I've read one of matt west's posts and he suggests making notes on test exams and getting to know the answers or something like that.

Edit: Let me be clear. I have done a test exam on transcender and based on my knowledge and experience. I attained 70%. To be honest, I should have gotten more but well I cant remember everything lol. So what Im asking, what helps you to remember.

How did you study, how did you prepare yourself, what kinds of notes did you take?

I know when it comes to taking exams, I just fall apart and just forget everything. :(

Thanks

WIP: Too many to mention
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I havent taken my A+ exams yet (financial reasons) but I do know that you can't know what the questions will be unless you cheat.

If you have some practice exams and are passing them, and you have studied and understand the concepts then you should be of.

Welcome to CF

ps I read the books and am going through the Meyers books again highlighting important points

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

70% isn't too bad. Read through ALL the explanations on that practice exam... even the ones you answered correctly. Know why the right answer is right AND why the wrong answers are wrong. Revise the topics where you are weakest, and take another practice exam (using all new questions you haven't seen before - after all, you won't see these exact questions on the real A+ exam).

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Make notes on the 30% you didn't get correct which indicates areas that could use improvement. Beyond that, it just depends on how you learn. I had a heck of a time understanding memory space until I started drawing diagrams. The plain text explanations weren't getting through to me but drawing pictures drove the points home.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

One of the things that I like to do is after reading a topic, I like to summarize it out loud, kind of like as if I am teaching someone, only doing it to my self. It helps me a great deal with actually understanding the topic and know what I am weak at so that I can revise once more until I understand.

Personally I only make notes on things that have to be memorized, or something that I am really struggling with.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well one thing you may not have thought of, that helped me was the Transcender flash cards. They basically ask you brief questions without the typical Microsoft padding.

I would get my wife to ask me the questions and then if i got it right, i would try and explain to her why i knew it was right. If i couldnt put it into laymans terms and without difficulty, i knew i didnt fully understand myself. So, these questions and the ones i got wrong, i would delve back into that area of study and do some serious swatting up :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)