Timescales/deadlines... ?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by G1BB0, Oct 25, 2006.

1. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

just starting N+ (then onto CCNA w00t)

is there a realistic timescale for studying/passing the N+?

I know it takes different folks differing timescales due to ability and study time available but as I work week on week off on night's = loads of time to study (if I dont have a kip lol)

so I plan on doing approx 4hrs a day.. starting today

I am fortunate in that I am able to test a lot of the tools and stuff at work as we monitor network/servers and have uber admin rights

so I can do a bit of 'hands on' so to speak

the reason I ask is

a) I want is asap to move onto the ccna
    b)by setting myself a timescale/deadline I know I will put that little bit extra effort

so how long did it take you to study/pass? and how did you find it overall? does it help towards the CCNA or is that a whole different animal

thanks in advance

Steve

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I did it in a month - but then I've been doing practical networking for a long time. It was more a case of reading up on what was expected as an answer, which wasn't always how things are done. (The classic difference here is classfull/classless IP addressing, and how this affects 'subnetting'.)

As far as I know part of the 'Basic' section of CCNA is mostly a rerun of Network+, but with more depth.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

thanks for that... a month lol, I think I may be a tad longer although the sooner the better so I can get on with the CCNA

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Took me three months. It’s handy that you have access to servers, you can do some of the command line tests for connectivity; ping tracert etc. and generally mess around. (without breaking anything!)

I know you are going for the CCNA but the Network+ also helps with the MCSE cert, subnetting etc. is a big part of 70-291. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

in all honesty i am doing N+ then CCNA at present but will also be going onto do a few mcp's and who knows what (depends on whatever job I land in the future and its potential)

I guess whatever you learn can only add to ones skillset (providing you actually get to use it in the real world lol)

6. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

The best way I have found is to take a practice test and determine how much time you need based on that. Following this, estimate how long it will take you to learn the things you do not know. Then actually book the exam. There is nothing like a fixed exam date looming to light a fire under you!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  7. sakuraba1982

sakuraba1982 Nibble Poster

i agree i studied for the A+ exam for months, i kept on studying and studying and finally booked the exam, if you book the exam its suprizing how much more serious you take the study

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSA 2003
  8. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

well I have competed the 1st to assignments no probs, already gone through CBT nuggets videos, read half a book and most of the study material

the beauty of nights and every other week off

I reckon january for N+ then onto ccna.... watch this space :)