Time To Move on...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Toadeh, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

Hi All,

I have been working as a developer for 18 months now and in Nov, the new IT director pulled all development in favour of buying a system, then anounced that he was getting some project managers in and basically, made it clear that neither me nor my coleagues can move into these roles.

He has also commented on a few occasions that i get pushed out of the development team (mainly because they are older, I joined as a junior and am now upto their level) and now he has started doing it with closed door meetings about things which I am working on.

last straw came today when I have been reviewing the entire system and deciding what information to warehouse for reports and business inteligence, the dirctor then wants to take one of the others to analyse the new systems and see if they match the business requirement, even though I have done all the leg work (don't blame the guy who's going, he is good at his job, just don't like doing all the work for someone else to get all the credit).

Short of it is, I need to get out and find something with a career. I am a graduate and have an MCTS, how did you guys take the next step and move on, was it by trwaling job sites etc? also, did you find it difficult to keep motivated at your current work once you made the decision to go?

Am pritty pissed off here now so its defo time to go.

Any advice is appreciated

Cheers

mat

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Sorry to hear your current job case, but don't let it get to you too much as it does happen in the job market. I'd say tidy up your CV and start hitting www.monster.co.uk. www.jobserve.co.uk and my favourite www.jobsite.co.uk.

Make sure to publish your CV so that recruiters can view it and give you a ring. I think it is a kind of profiling but found I personally landed lots of interview this way and good companies too.

Finally, when you've done with putting your CV on the above web sites, visit every week and alter your CV i.e. move things around and save it afterwards as this would help put your CV back on top of the list. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I havent got into the IT biz yet, but believe me that sort of thing happens everywhere, I remember a guy who designed a whole advertising set at my place by drawing a series of cartoons (this bloke was so good he recently did the B side cartoons of the Gorilaz album). IN the companies monthly newsletter his name wasn't mentioned at all, only the advertising exec who sold the idea to the company it was about and the advertising director.

It has happened in other places I work, I think its a fact of life.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

Yeh, I understand that other people take the credit. i think what bugs me more is that the new direcotr said he wasn't going to push me away from the others and he is doing that. I could speak to him, but I have done that twice, its Ok for a week then it goes back to how it was. Its well annoying.

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development