Thursday - What a day ahead.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Colloghi, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well a couple of weeks ago i finanlly booked the A+ essentials exam and its tommorow at 11:45, so im slightly nervous and hopeful at the same time.

However, i gotta say (and its been done before but), thanks to the "writing the killer CV" topic, as its landed me my first proper interview for an IT job

Guess what?, the interview is tommorow, 45 mins after the exam, and strangely about ten mins away from the actual exam center:eek:

which is even stranger when i only booked the exam at wakefield center, due to there being no centers in barnsley for that date.

Am i nervous?

hell yeah:eek:

More than anything, im just glad my new shiny CV has grabbed me an interview, so again thanks to the "writing the killer cv" topic:D

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Double Good Luck to you then! :)

Dont worry about the exam, you'll be fine! Just make sure you concentrate and make sure your mind isnt on the interview.

Let us know how you get on mate :) !

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good luck mate I hope evrything turns out ok for you.:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good luck on the test and the interview. As I recall, I pinned that CV thread in the jobs forum but a member named Pete01 found it and originally posted it.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

good luck. And just think, if you get a pass (Im pretty sure they tell you that just after the exam, right?) you can always mention that in the interview..

"How are you?"
    "Pretty good actually, I just passed my A+ essentials exam about 45 minutes ago!"

gotta look good to the employers :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... print two copies of your CV... one with the certification, and one without... and give them the updated version if you pass. ;) woohoooo!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good luck tomorrow mate.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Cheers for the support guys:D

What kind of questions should i fire out? Ive read the job descriptions and read a bit that i can find about the company and it pretty much answers most of my quesions so my minds a bit blank:blink

in regards to the exams, i just hope i dont get too many printer questions, bloody things are my arch enemy.

Repaired a ps2? done that
    repaired a dead PC? done that
    Repaired a kids scalextric? done that

Feed paper into an epsom Cx3200 printer........ill get back to you on that

I hate that printer:(

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best of luck mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

If you mean during the job interview, it depends on what you want to know. Remember, this isn't a one way street where they get to find out all about you and decide if you're the right fit for the job. You have to decide if you want to work for these people, too.

For instance, is there room for advancement? Do they encourage continuing training and if so, how (pay for training, time off for training, and such...)? It's not just the money...what about benefits such as medical, dental, vision? What's the company's philosophy about teamwork and support?

Ask about what's important to you in a job. This will tell them that you are interested in them and interested in how you will fit in with them. It will tell them you have a brain behind your eyes and believe me, they will hold you in higher regard if you ask questions like those (if they have any integrity at all, that is).

11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Good luck 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well today certainly has been a long day......

but

The essential thing is i passed my Exam:D a better score would have been nice, as i just passed it, but i feel more knowlegable about what my weaker areas are and what i need to improve upon to make me a better tech and guarantee a better score in my next A+ exam

But on paper, it says the most important thing

PASSED!

as for the interview, im happy with how it went, a nice relaxed atmosphere, good prospects and an excellent entry level position for myself. I think i did ok, was given a scenario about a faulty lawn mower:eek: but they seemed happy with how i dealt with that.

find out tomorrow whether i have the job or not:D

thanks for all the support guys, gonna have a bash at a timeless classic ....Elite 2: frontier:D to wind down a bit, then sleep methinks

Adios one and all:)

A nice day all in all

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. BosonMichael

Is this an interview for a job as a computer tech or a lawn care tech? :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Think "metaphor". :D

Congratulations on the pass, mate. Good work and good luck with the job.

16. BosonMichael

It's a job for a metaphorical tech? :ohmy

:twisted:

17. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass mate! As they say "a pass is a pass".

Let us know when you hear about the job, my fingers are crossed for ya :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done dude :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

After a frantic and strange day at work, (including a shoplifter attempting to pinch 2 potatoes and 2 litres of milk:blink )

I finally got the call about the job

With the starting question of "so how much do you like working at Asda?"

He went on to say ive got the job:D start october 2nd

Its 1st line support with a well renowed company which provides support for the NHS.

What a brilliant 2 days and has set my weekend up nicely. So now im off to kill some customers on "killzone", whilst drinking a nice cold beer:D

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Congratulations, mate. Well done. Just in time to celebrate over the weekend. :D