Thoughts on ITIL?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I’ve posted on this before but does anyone have any thoughts on the ITIL foundation cert?

Trying to get the guys at work interested in this so thought I would have a look first myself – a few chapters into the book and I want to set the book on fire and forget the whole thing.

Yes, I know its common sense but the training material is so dry it’s unreal.

Any words of wisdom before I get a beer from the fridge to ease the pain? :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

I have no plans to take this cert.

As you said, it's dry and it looks so boring.

But we have apprentices that take an ITIL course for a week and take the exam at the end and most pass it.

So it could be an easy certification for you to get in such a short period.

Good luck!

3. Sparky

Cheers – yeah this cert always seems to be given to apprentices or junior members of staff. Not 100% sure why though. Clearly they will managing suppliers and defining SLAs. :)

I did speak to some service\business consultants last year as we were purchasing another company and I was interested in bringing a more structured approach to helpdesk and customer management. Anyways one of the consultants didn’t rate ITIL whatsoever!

I shall stick with it for now and assess later on.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I have this cert... personally it has no value to me. You are better of getting them training videos of udemy.. thats all I needed to pass.. a 6hr video course and I was done.

Sparky likes this.
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

ITIL do...

6. Sparky

Yeah - online training might be the answer here. The books should be set on fire :)

7. Sparky

Signed up to Pluralsight - some of the vids look good :)

8. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

I did it a few years back. The most boring thing I've ever done. You could literally study for and pass this exam in a few hours though, so potentially easy CV filler.

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I essentially did ITIL foundation as part of an OU course.
    God, it was dull.
    I’ve done plenty of methodologies such as Prince2, SureStep and others but I really struggled to get my head around ITIL.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
    JK2447 likes this.
  10. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ditto I’ve tried to think of something to say about ITIL but I find it quite dull. That said I’d get it definitely as it’s recognised and does teach good learns. You never know you might like it. Bro on here went on to do master levels of ITIL as he’s a PM

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  11. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I did the ITIL v3 Foundation cert, then I went on to do the FITS level 4 Practitioner and level 5 Manager course (before they changed it - reduced the requirements and made it a level 3 and level 4 qualification) - which is basically ITIL for the Education sector.

The foundation cert, imo, really only introduces the subjects but really concentrates of getting everyone on the "same page" terminology wise. The issue, I have with this qualification is when people start taking what they have learnt on the foundation course as gospel - set in stone and then implements more than necessary red tape - not for the benefit of the organisation or the IT Department, but for the sake of implementation.

But I do know would you mean by dry... I self-studied for the foundation exam and by day 1 I wanted to stick toothpicks in my eyes just to keep them open, haha :D

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    JK2447 likes this.