Thinking of taking the CCNA + CCNP course

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Isador, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Have you listened to anything Sparky's said?

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  2. Isador

Isador Bit Poster

Yes, he's mentioned possible ideas but not firm reccomendations...

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes, if the A+ doesn’t interest you then fair enough. The Network+ should be fairly straight forward based on your previous studies but you will pick up a few things from it.

After that try and get some MS certs, if you want to take shortcuts then skip the MCDST (I did but I was a server admin at the time and went onto the 70-270) and start on 70-270 (XP) or 70-620 (Vista) which will set you up to progress to MCSA.

By this time you should have more commercial experience so then try to get a server admin role and this gives you more *networking* experience. This can be with various firewalls, routers etc. and after that you should be ready to move onto enterprise level products such as Cisco and Check Point.

That’s generally how it works mate but you might land a Cisco job next week for all I know!! :biggrin

Edit: The MCSE can take years to get through all the exams. By the time you complete you may have progressed into a more network-orientated role.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

The idea is to get the experience on the job... but you shouldn't try to run before you can walk.

No employer with a braincell would employ someone with a certification but no real world experience to back it up.

The certs are great, and we work and study hard to gain them... however, the experience is key.

By the way, you're right... there is no MCSA for 2008; however, there are MCTS and MCITP certs. To all intents and purposes they are the new versions for the new OSes.

As Kraven and Sparky have already said 2000 and 2003 are going to be around for some years to come... we still have 2000 in my work.

Edit: I would also caution that MS (not sure about Cisco) do have minimum recommended periods of working with the likes of AD, Server 2003, numbers of users and so on before you consider doing something like MCSA, MCSE. They say that for a reason.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No; the point of certification is to show that you ALREADY have knowledge and practical experience in those technologies, not to GET knowledge and experience using those technologies. Certification without the appropriate amount of experience isn't very useful.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Isador

Isador Bit Poster

well surely my year placement position will go some way to back up my certs?

7. Sparky

You need much more than that, proper hands on experience like taking a crap firewall out a rack and configuring a PIX firewall from scratch.

With no downtime..... :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. BosonMichael

Kraven's right. Even if you can pass the exam, certification doesn't automagically qualify you for a job. Without having Cisco experience, the certification's not going to make that happen for you.

The A+ *is* basic... but you're at a basic level. We are by no means putting you down... but some of us here have worked in IT for years and years, and we are trying to give you advice that's going to help you steadily climb the IT career ladder... without falling... or beating your head against the wall.

Walk before you run... crawl before you walk. We're not trying to hold you back... we're trying to help you take one step at a time. No employer is going to hire you for advanced jobs without experience.

The MCSA is by no means outdated. I have yet to support a single Windows Server 2008... most companies are using Windows Server 2003, and several STILL use Windows 2000 Server.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Isador

Isador Bit Poster

Ok chaps thank for your advice, I think i'll wait and switch jobs in an apropiate environment (ie with Cisco/MS equipment) and then persue some certs then.

Cheers

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you can still get some entry level certs like A+, N+ and MCDST not many people walk straight into a networking job, most people start at the bottom on a help desk or in a basic field service tech role then move up.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Sparky

No probs :thumbleft

12. BosonMichael

A good move is often to make a lateral shift to the same position, but one in which you are allowed to assist the next-level techs with servers or networking gear. This enables you to get that much-needed experience so you CAN get certified and land a server admin or network admin job.

13. Isador

Isador Bit Poster

unfortunately with my position I don't deal with generic software, i support the software they make and all the hardware and network equipment is done by contractors. The company is very small as well, only about 30 employees in total

14. Sparky

You might want to get into a bigger company that will have various IT roles so you have some scope to progress.

15. Isador

Isador Bit Poster

Aye that's my plan :)

16. Sparky

Unless the hardware\network support is brought in-house at your current job. :biggrin

17. BosonMichael

That's... the reason to make a lateral move to the same level position in a different company. ;)

18. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I agree with this too.
    - From someone who dabs in networks just a little bit :rolleyes:

19. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

MCSA.. outdated! most of our servers are 2000 and 2003, and one of our exchange servers is 5.5 running on NT!

Even now, as many of the new virtual servers are being integrated and brought online they use 2003, predominately for cost and compatibility. Server 2008 is a way off from becoming the majority server product being used in commercial environments .. if it ever indeed will, IMO I believe it will suffer from the same "XP vs Vista" battle.

You've had some good advice from experienced professionals in this thread and as long as you remember that everyone had to start somewhere, reading up on Cisco kit in your spare time will no doubt come in handy.

20. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done guys and gals, as some constructive and smashing advise has been given. I too gleaned from this:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell