Thinking of studying for N+. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Stuka, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Lets hope the overlap is tantamount to a couple of months ;)

Certifications: IT 2:1 Degree, A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, the Network+ is worth doing.

The only problem with your career plan is... it's sorta difficult to avoid networking if you plan on being an IT tech. Outside of being a PC service tech, most every IT administration or support position deals with networking to some degree... and considering PC service tech positions are typically entry-level positions, it would be difficult to build a lifelong career when you'd already be at your "ceiling".

So... if you're OK with doing some networking in your career, the Network+ would be a great certification to pursue. If you want to avoid networking... then you're likely in the wrong field. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

I hear you mate. I'm 50/50 with networking. I like some aspects of it, but I'm not interested enough to make a career out of it. Thats my stance.

I suppose there's no harm in studying for the N+. Like you and others have said, if your an IT tech/adminstrator, then your bound to come into contact with networking of some degree, and as I'm currently working as an I.T tech, it would seem relevant to attempt the N+, would it not?

...the way I see it is that I may not even be working in I.T in say, ten years time - but for the moment, I am, and I'm doing a job which does require some knowledge of networks...so the N+ under my present circumstances would be relevant even if its just to gain a better understanding of networks, if nothing else. Knowledge is power, or so they say.

4. BosonMichael

Exactly right! And who knows... once you get into it... it might just grow on you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Cheers BosonMichael. Is the exam one or two parts, like the A+?

6. BosonMichael

One part.

7. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

I'm going to buy some books online tonight with the aspirations of passing before the 31st of July. I'm targetting two books, which two would you guys advise on buying?

Also, and this may sound trivial - but if I bought a book now, would it be useless if I don't manage to pass the exam come July 31st? As the exam is supposedly being updated? Should I be aiming to buy a Network+ book based on the 2007 exam?

8. BosonMichael

Network+ by Groth and the Network+ All-in-One by Meyers. Make sure to get Meyers' additional content, which you can request by e-mailing him... details are on his forum, here.

No, not useless. There will certainly be newer content rolling in and older content rolling off... but networking is still networking... much of it will still be the same. We still subnet like we did in the "dark ages"! ;)

You should get whatever version is the latest. Not all have a 2007 version, as the 2007 update was a minor one. The extra content from Meyers will help with the new stuff.

9. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

10. BosonMichael

I believe so, yes. Again, be sure to get the extra content.

You can either get the paperback edition or the deluxe edition. I believe the deluxe edition comes with some network simulation software and some other extra stuff. There's also a combo pack which has the paperback edition with a couple other books.

11. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Thanks for the info mate.

12. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster