Thinking of studying for N+. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Stuka, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Hi all,

I passed my A+ several months ago now. I'm currently working at an ICT technician, but this isn't something I want to do for the rest of my life. I'm thinking about studying for the Network+ the big problem is, is that I'm questioning myself as to whether its a waste of time if I don't want to go down the "networking route" as it were.

My question is this. Is it worth doing the Network+ course even if you have little aspirations to make a career out of networking and other network related professions? Or is it worth doing to compliment the A+ as in "it adds more weight to the CV" type theory?

The reason I ask is because I'm not sure what I want to do in terms of a career in I.T. I did the A+ as it provides a good "foundation" qualification - but people tell me that the Network+ is only worth bothering with IF I definately want to pursue a career in the networking field...true or false?

Thanks guys.

Certifications: IT 2:1 Degree, A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think the knowledge the Net+ covers is something all support techs should know, whether they want to pursue a career in networking or not. Since you say you don't want to be a support tech for the rest of your life it's maybe not for you though. Once you figure out what you want to do it might be easier to make a decision.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IMO, the answer is false. Yes the Network+ does go into networking, however it is not only for those working with networks. Just like the A+, the Network+ is a good foundation, plus it is a natural progression from the A+. I was a Software IT Tech when I did my Network+ and it helped me understand what others did as well as prepared me for future job roles and certifications.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you know what area of IT you want to get into mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Thats the thing, I'm not really sure. I like to dabble in the multimedia side of things, and the hardware side of things.

To be honest, I might just do the Network+ as I've already done the A+. As you guys have stated, it'll be another good foundational qualification to add to my CV.

...I'm just worried in case I'm wasting my time with the N+ if its strictly for those who really want a career in Networking. Networking is something that interests me, and I do have experience with home LANs, WLANs, and our schools LANs, but when I really think about it, I don't have the interest to the point where I'd love to make a career out of it.

6. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Not at all Stuka. I did the A+ such as yourself, and I've got my N+ exam this monday. I don't have any solid aspiration to work in networking, I just knew the knowledge gained would be useful for my MCDST.
    It's an expensive exam, but I think it's something worth looking at, especially if networking is one of your weaker areas (like it was with mine).

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes the knowledge gained will help with further studies and it will also help with further career asprirations even if you don't go into a networking job because it will teach you how it all works.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Cheers guys. I think I'll consider studying for it in the next couple of weeks.

As for books, I'll probably end up buying a couple. What do you all recommend?

9. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The Sybex Book: Network+ Study Guide by David Groth got very good reviews.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Evilwheato

I bought the Sybex as wagnerk said but I also bought the Meyers book. These were based on the older exam though, so I'm not sure what books they have for the 2009 N+ exam.

11. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Yeah, thats the only thing I'm concerned about. I need to find out if there are any updated books for the Network+ exam. I remember watching some videos regarding the A+ course and at the time, I got about half way through the videos only to discover that they were based on the 2003 exam!

I don't want to buy a Network+ book only to discover its years out of date!

12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

On Amazon they have the release date of AIO 4th edition as 30th June. I couldn't see an updated Sybex book listed.
    It's actually a lot easier than I thought it would be, probably because it builds on the A+ knowledge. Once I had the OSI layers sorted out in my head and which hardware/protocols use which layers the rest sort of fell into place. After only a week and a half study I'm borderline pass according to the test exams I've taken so you should be able to knock it out before the current exam retires.

2007: N10-003, pass mark 554, retires 31 July 2009
    2009: N10-004, pass mark 720, retires 2012

Note the big jump in the pass mark. An incentive to get it done asap if ever there was one.

13. greenbrucelee

thats why I got it out of the way :)

14. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Show-off.:biggrin

How hard did you find it, GBL? I'm a bit concerned about how easy it seems to be (so far).

15. greenbrucelee

if you know the material it will be easy if you don't it will be hard. I found it easy in parts but there were a couple of questions where I hadn't known the answer so I had to use a bit of thinking time

16. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

ooops, I didn't phrase that well.
    What I meant was: how easy did you find the studying? did you find it a big leap from the A+ networking knowledge or was it all fairly straightforward for you?

17. greenbrucelee

nah not really it's just a different book :)

18. Evilwheato

You will find a fair bit you will already know from the A+, which is why it's a good step to take. However, there will be parts that are new and will go into further detail than the A+ did (such as connectivity between OS's or authentication methods).

19. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Crap! I doubt I'll be sitting the exam before July 31st. If I started studying now with the aim to pass before the retirement deadline date approaches, I'd only be rushing it and thinking about one thing...trying to pass the exam before the pass mark shoots through the stratosphere!

20. greenbrucelee

there's usually a bit of overlap before it dissapears completly.