The Why Is It Post?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by craigie, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I don't gesticulate; I'm one of those condescending gits that shakes their head and tuts, hoping you're looking in your mirror or at the back of my head, depending on where I am in traffic!

My Dad is / was a lorry driver, and quite religiously cussed middle lane drivers when I was young. I kind of got the idea by the age of 5.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok so why is it, that if my bed is pushed against a wall, people still ask did i get up on teh wrong side of teh bed?? I can only get out from one side so it's got to be the right side right???

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

Thanks Arroryn, thats the first time someone has made a coherent case about why some words are bad.
    so its not the word as much as the intent.

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA
  4. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Why is it I going to need to use something I have thrown away the day before.:rolleyes:

WIP: C++ and A+
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Why is it that you should save up for a rainy day?

Why not save up for "you've been made redundant, your girlfriend has just walked on you for another woman and you're left holding the bill for the mortgage" kind of days?:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Why is it that people with facial moles tend to have extraordinarily long hairs sprouting from them?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Why do men have nipples?

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Why is it when you are feeling ill and you look ill, people come up to and say "Are you OK?"

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Arroryn

Because they're concerned about you and it's a pathetic British euphemism for "is there anything I can do to help?"

The most comprehensive answer is below, and this is covered in one of the New Scientist "Why do..." book series, where they answer random science questions.

Although the BEST answer was this:

10. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I actually knew the answer to this, my wife is a lactation consultant and I asked her long ago, which she quickly answered to my amazement, I figured it would be fun to ask. It's still a silly idea to me know how matter how science explains it.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  11. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I'm missing the point here Arro so don't flame me, but, why don't you overtake them? I get a lot more annoyed with people who sit in the outside lane when the middle lane is clear or they are driving at the same speed as the middle lane. but if somebody is sat in the middle lane I overtake them in the outside lane. On motorways personally I always use the middle lane or the outside lane but I am always travelling faster than the lane to my left so I feel it is justified, If im in the outside lane at 85 for instance and somebody is approaching me faster than im going then I will try and drop into the middle lane and let them past, if all the lanes are doing 70 and theres 10 cars in front of me then there is no benefit to me letting somebody past however, instead we all have to curse the idiot who is at the front.

WIP: A+
  12. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Why is it when babies are teething, they get a rash on their a**?

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

why is it that wasps exist?

why do the have the advantage over the bees? (can sting multiple times, bees die if they do sting).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Why does Mickey have a bottom but no top, and Donald has a top but no bottom?

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  15. Arroryn

@Markyboyt I only ever drive 65 - 70 on the motorway (I drive a car that has an engine resembling two hairdryers and a hamster).

If I'm encountering gits in the middle lane at that speed, I tend to slow down a little to hang just behind them - I've lost count of the number of times I've gone to overtake in the outside lane at 70mph only to have some ass flashing their lights behind me and hanging on my tail (whilst I'm STILL overtaking the car) because I'm not going fast enough for their vicious, commuting, road-ragey asses.

I've perfected most of the range of recognisable offensive hand gestures.

16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You need a sign in the back of your car, like the police sign that flips up when they want someone to pull over.

Instead of "POLICE" it's a big V sign to flip up at the those flashing their headlights :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Granny. :p Need me to get behind you and push? :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!