The Value in MCDST At This Point In Time?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Frank, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Frank

Frank Bit Poster

Hi All,

I passed 70-271 in March this year and am now considering going for 70-272. The reason i've taken this long to get to 272 is i got a job right after passing it and have had my head down making sure i pass probation.

At this point i'm wondering if there is value in getting a cert that basically means you know how to support XP with Windows 7 due out soon?

I'm not trying to devalue everyone who has the MCDST cert already or is about to take the exams but is it wise to invest the time and money (without the second shot anymore) into getting 272 done when it's for a 8 year old OS?

On a side note i've started reading the MS press books....man that is some dry reading...i need to slap myself to stay awake.

Cheers,

Frank

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

it is definately worth getting. despite win 7 being around people will still be using xp for a good few years to come yet.

Some places have only just finished xp roll outs! :eek:

3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Taking into account that XP currently still has between 60 and 70% of the OS market, and the current economy means budgets are tight everywhere, I think XP is still going to be the most common OS for the next few years.
    I believe there's a one exam upgrade to Vista for those who hold the MCDST, I imagine there will be the same requirement for W7. If so, you will have to take two exams anyway to achieve the W7 certification (either 272+upgrade or two W7 exams).
    I'm in a similar situation to yourself. I've decided to finish the MCDST because of those reasons.
    I hear what you're saying about the MSPress book, I've contemplated setting my beard on fire just to liven things up a bit while reading it.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Businesses will still be using XP until 2014 and beyond (2014 is when extended support stops), so the MCDST is still a very valid certification to go for.

Besides not all new PC's and laptops support the virtual XP mode that is in Windows 7, let alone all business applications. Plus how many organisation are willing to jump to spend money to upgrade asap? Not many especially now during a recession.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Do the 272. If you already passed the 271, you should be able to do ok on this one as well. As a bonus, not only will you be able to call yourself an MCP, but also an MCDST (always nice to have an extra title in the name).

In addition as was mentioned, if you then do the 621, you'll get an MCTS AND an MCITP for the price of just one exam. That makes it 4 titles that overall look considerably more impressive on a resume.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. Frank

Frank Bit Poster

You guys make a good point, I just thought with all the positive feedback about Windows 7 it wouldn't be a hard sell to get companies to update but the financial climate has a impact on this.

For those who have done both would you say to expect the same difficulty level to 271 or did you consider it easier?

Thanks for your feedback guys!