The OU

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Wowser!! That's a great financial increase!
    Its certainly something I can look at. Thank you @Pseudonym

Pseudonym likes this.
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Dev/Ops is deffinitely where its at, I've been telling people to at least get some bash/python scripting on here for 10+ years now.

I do bits of Dev/Ops but not fulltime. Mostly GCP, Git, Kubernetes, Docker, Helm, Jenkins, Gradle, ETL etc.

Jaron78 likes this.
  3. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

At this point I'd say a degree is largely a waste of time unless you need it for a skills visa.
    Skills and can do attitude will beat certs also IMHO for most jobs.

Jaron78 likes this.
  4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Not too dissimilar from myself in terms of techstack. Been working in Azure for the past 18 months, but moving back into GCP at my next place. Got to say, I really think Azure is substantially better and more mature than GCP, but I haven't touched GCP in 18 months so maybe it's moved on a bit.

I'd have to agree. If I'm interviewing someone, I really don't care if they have certs or a degree. In fact, my first thought a lot of the time is "Did they dump these certs?". A degree is nice to have but imo not worth the investment (Time and money). On the other hand if someone has a git repo with a kubernetes cluster and supporting resources defined in terraform, and they can walk me through how they produced it and why they made certain design decisions.. and they're passionate - then that would swing it for me. For an associate level job at least.. + associate level DevOps engineers are making at least 50-60k.

5. Jaron78

Thanks Guys.
    Its good to have different opinions and views.
    I am working on my AWS CCP and Linux Essentials at the moment, and then IF I do start the BSc with the OU, would be looking at 2nd of April.

Need to have a think. Thank you all.

Pseudonym likes this.
  6. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Jaron78 likes this.
  7. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

You've got to do it! You will always be thinking what if, if you don't go for it. I am not sure if your employer will make you pay if you do not complete it, but if they do not then there really is no reason not to try.

I have done a masters part time and currently doing a PhD and the recommend hours are flexible at times you can do more others less so I would not let that factor worry you to much and after a year or two you will see what progress you have made and adjust your studying hours as required.

Also if you want to move in to Cyber Ops I would recommend the cyber security degree.

Certifications: A few.
    JK2447 and Jaron78 like this.
  8. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

1. Yes degrees look good, but not necessarilly better than self study and experience. It is NOT free, you have opportunity cost which IS significant.
    2. You could get the stocks without the degree so thats irrelevant
    3. Yes being 43 does matter, learn Econ 101, there is Opportunity Cost, and there is Amortization. At a higher age you have less years to amortize the cost of the degree over, the 'cost' includes your time and effort.
    4. Why not try ONE OU course first before commiting to see if you like it? With two related courses you can get a certificate, I did MS121 and MS221. You can easily be doing 12+ hours a week almost every week, It is a lot.

I plan to retire at 50, I will likely be retired before you finish! What would you use the degree for in retirement that you couldn't have done with self study or MOOCs?

Jaron78 likes this.
  9. Jaron78

Really sorry for the delayed response guys.
    The US Branch shut down for Thanks Giving and as the US is our main offices, you would have thought things would be quiet but it has been bonkers!

After much thought and a lot of research, Im going to steer away from a degree to be honest. From what I can see, work wise, it would be more beneficial to do self study certs than a degree. I may change my mind at some point but as it stands, Vendor certs for me.

Want to thank everyone for their input, really appreciate everyones time and explanations.

Thanks Guys.

JK2447 likes this.
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, that's one of the things with IT, there is no only one way to progress... Glad that you have made a decision :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    Jaron78 likes this.