The next step??

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by becks4eva, Sep 15, 2009.

?

What would you do?

Poll closed Oct 5, 2009.
  1. Complete MCDST and begin career in IT?

33.3%
  2. Stay put and be assistant manager?

66.7%
  1. becks4eva

becks4eva Bit Poster

Ive found myself in a dilemma...I will soon begin studying for my MCDST which i hope to complete by January next year and get into the IT industry as soon as i can find an entry level job. At the moment i work in the hopitality industry at a well known gastro pub who has offered me a trainee managerial job. The job has its pro's and con's like any job but if i was to take the position i will not be able to do my MCDST and break into the IT industry as i had previously planned. What would you do? Should i rather focus on getting qualified and breaking into the IT industry or sit tight and put my career plans on hold for a while, especially considering the advantage i am at now with having a steady progressive job?
    Any extra thoughts would be welcome in helping me reach a decision....
    Many thanks

Certifications: Comptia A+, MCDST
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

What's wrong with accepting the trainee management job and continue to study for the MCDST, A+ & Network+ in your spare time? Alot of us study thru work as well as in the evenings/weekends for other qualifications.

Think of it logically, what are the chances that you'll get your first IT position straight away? You can always quit your job when you do get your foot in the door of IT.

-Ken

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I can't select both, but I agree completely with what Ken has advised.

The majority of CF pursue study part-time, alongside our 'day jobs' - and quite a few aren't in IT either.

It may be a struggle at first, but there are a few threads on motivation (some recent ones in OT) and a few articles on self-studying.

Do both - you can do it :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Just my personal opinion, and sort of echoing what Arroryn and WagnerK have already said, but take the trainee manager job, and carry on studying.

It's hard to break into IT, but when you do, a bit of life experience works wonders for your career. Management experience, for example, will help you if you get into IT management, if thats the path your career takes.

Best of luck with the studies.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, do both! :biggrin

Difficult to say when you will land your first IT job so best to make the most of the job you have while you are there.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Another vote for both :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Both! That management experience may come in handy someday. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. colz1234

colz1234 Bit Poster

I am in a very similar situation to this at the moment. Currently work in manufacturing, well im a sheet metal worker/coppersmith and have also been studying the a+ mcdst etc. I was offered the foreman/asistant managers role at my work just after i completed my MCDST, so yea im going to take it as it will give me extra brownie points so to speak on future job applications, but also continue with my IT studies and just see where things go.

In my opinion you would be stupid to pass up a chance of promotion, especially managerial, and now is not exactly the best time to be looking for jobs.

Certifications: COMPTIA A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA MCSE