The Musicians of CF

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Cockles, Jun 2, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Had to check it out on Amazon to see what that was. Yeah, I could do that. 8)

...but would I want to? :unsure :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

me too...after a kick in the family jewels! LOL :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

i have record decks if that counts, done a few clubs here n there and used to run my own night at a bar

dont really do that any more though as nowhere accepts the music policy but me and a friend produce dance tracks with a few coming out in vinyl soon

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yeah I've played in bands since i was 16, and a duo gigging three or four nights a week for 4 years all over London. I play bass mainly but am just as happy on lead guitar. I don't play much here now because I have lost contact with my musician friends. Still it was and still is great fun 8)

Amongst others, I played at the Cartoon, Dog and Bull, and that biker pub The Gun, at the bottom of Church street, many times Zeb. The biggest gig was supporting Motorhead at the Greyhound :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I don't have a musical bone in my body :D

So nuff respect to all those who can play/sing/are musical!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sadly, my brief but supernovic impact on the music scene has left me with heroin, drink and sex addictions that mean I just can't join in this thread.... :(

Oh wait ... or was that dillusions of fame that never quite materialised ?? :blink :tune

Rock'n'roll ... yeah !!! :biggrin:thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Spent many years playing gigs in various bands trying to be the next Metallica. :rocks

The drum kit is still at the folks house and I will go back for it one day, no room in the the flat for it just now! :drummer

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. drum_dude

what kit/cymbals have you got Sparky?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I was relatively serious about my music until my mid twenties - when I decided that traipsing up and down motorways in transit vans playing in ****holes supporting luminaries such as extreme noise terror, cerebral fix, nightlord and suchlike wasnt really cutting it for me. Since then I've just dabbled - though its funny how now that I don't really care that much about it I'm able to afford some decent gear :biggrin

Got an Ibanez 7 string super strat, a Jackson Warrior and (until recently when i sold it) a Gibson V. Play through a Pod XT Live floor unit and a Marshall head (used to have a Laney head which was the nuts but sold that aeons ago to pay for a server LOL)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. Sparky

Used to have a white Pearl Forum drum kit but I sold it a few years back, I loved that kit! :cry:

My mate gave me his black Tama drum kit (not sure what model), so thats collecting the dust just now. I want to trade it in for something funky with a small 20” bass drum at some point, hee hee!

Using Zildjian cymbals, not sure of the type (again) but they were loud!

Ack, want to set up the kit right now and pound metal!! :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  11. drum_dude

When I first started playing in bands I was so against cover bands! Fvckin sell-outs is what me and fellow musos labelled them as...

Fast forward 15 years and I'm doing exactly that now! I must admit I do love the long distant gigs and quite enjoy driving on a virtually empty motorway on the way home - quite surreal when compared to my travels with my job during the day! I've been doing this for years and do really enjoy it - especially when there is a wad of cash in me back pocket!

I love nothing more then arranging to meet up with one of the band members for a coffee at 2 in morning at some chosen motorway services on the way home after a gig! Its a great way to wind down and have a laugh about the events at the gig - there's always something to chat about and at that time in the morning the atmosphere is not so rushed or time orientated!

12. drum_dude

Attatched is a piccy of my kit. Tama StarClassic Performer! Love it, plus it has a 22" bass drum which is quite nice on a fusion kit!

Attached Files:

13. Sparky

Sweet! 8)

Are those Zildjian K hi hats you have there? Always wanted a set of them but never had the £££ to spare :cry:

14. drum_dude

Full Spec of the lot is:

Tama StarClassic Performer 6 Piece Birch Kit Violet - 10", 12", 14", 16" Toms. 14" Snare and 22" x 18" Bass Drum

8" Zildjian K Splash
    8" Zildjian A Splash
    13" K Custom Hats
    14" K China Crash
    16" Zildjian A Thin Crash
    16" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash
    17" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash
    19" Zildjian A Rock Crash
    20" Zildjian Z Custom Ride

Tama Iron Cobra Single Bass Drum Pedal
    Tama Iron Cobra Kevlar 2 Leg Hi-Hat Stand
    Tama Hardware.

great investment! LOL!!

oh and of course DECENT EARPLUGS too!!!!

15. drum_dude

Yep, 13" K Customs. I used to use 14" K/Z hybrid jobs - bottom was a Z & top was a K - but I got peed off with the amount of room 14" hats where taken up. Moved to the 13" ones and the hats are not so intrusive!

Thinking of moving to a 13" snare as the 14" ones in my opinion are a little large...

all this talking of inches may give the wrong impression if I ain't careful...haha

At last!!! My 1000-th post!!! Only taken me 3 1/2 years!!! LOL!!!!

16. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Been a guitar player for 26 years (started at 12). Did the band thing, got tired of attitudes, had some lifestyle concerns, and up until my move to Los Angeles, had a weekly gig at church. Being in L.A. gives me the itch to play out again -- this is a music town.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  17. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

This is mainly directed at Sparky and Drum_Dude, one thing I've found recently that is really odd is there seems to be an abundance of drummers around, we've literally had our pick of them, which is bloody brilliant. A couple of years back when we started, not only a good drummer, but any drummer was near impossible to find, nowadays we're not short of them at all. I know drumming has gained in popularity in recent years, especially with the cheapness of the electric kits, but has it taken off that much?

One thing I love about being a bass player, one of the first questions you normally get asked is 'oh, so you started off on guitar then?'. I must admit I did, I still play guitar, I just prefer the sound and technicality of bass. Anyone can pick up a bass and play root chords (look at Oasis), but to really learn to play it is a whole new experience.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  18. drum_dude

Hey, don't forget that a lot of "born again" drummers are on the scene! LOL

Well my opinion of drumming is that it went into decline back in the 80s and possibly didn't start picking back up till the start of the 90s. If you think back to the 80s a lot of pop bands in the charts and on the radio were mainly using drum machines and synths. Yes I know the likes of Metallica were about but they weren't shoved down our throats like 80s pop bands. However saying that, a lot of those bands did have drummers:

Duran Duran
    Spandau Ballet
    Bros (the last pop boy band to have a drummer and bassist)
    Culture Club (Boy George wrote songs based on his "relationship" with the drummer:blink)
    Joy Division
    Gary Numan and Tubeway Army
    Kajagogoo

and many more

but the sound of the drums were at times sampled or the beats were quite basic to say the least. Plus when these bands appeared on Top of the Pops etc they didn't exactly demonstrate their musical abilities i.e. miming to songs and only miming drumming on single snare or something like that! Lazy gits and all in the name of image. In fact the music videos of these bands rarely showed any of them playing an instrument.

As with all instruments they go through phases of popularity - I believe that in our generation the popularity of the drums was in decline and the synth was the in thing. But don't forget that the drums had enormous popularity during the 50s/60s/70s and - as my dad told me - they were no shortage of drummers during those times. He was drumer himself in the 60s and made a sort of living playing Beatles songs in German pubs whilst he was stationed with the RAF in Germany.

When I was at school during the 80s and 90s we were never encouraged to play instruments like the drums. In fact when I had a go on the school drumkit I was more or less given a bollocking. But thinking back to it I SHOULD have been asked if that was where my interest lay instead of being sidelined for those that were interested in the Violin, Piano or the Triangle!!!!!

I think the drums started gaining in popularity during the 90s thanks to the likes of Nivarna, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden and of course the MTV music channel. You see until the 90s the vast majority of the population had to swallow what our measly crap 4 TV channel system offered. And once Satellite TV became affordable only then did budding musicians get the chance to see - more often - bands in a live situations and bands that they would not have otherwise seen before. I mean when did the beeb and ITV ever dedicate 1-2 hour slot to Death Metal bands?

So of course the younger generation is now exposed to a whole variety of music and musical instruments and most bands of today are made up of very talentated individuals.

Finally, a heck of a lot more "hip" venues are allowing bands to play to their customers. I see so many pubs and clubs etc that advertise a band on a certain night.

19. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Some very good points there DD, I never considered the impact of 80's synth on the drum scene.

A lot of people I know who wanted to drum didn't because of the impracticialities of it i.e. the space required, the cost, the noise etc. A lot of these people have now bought the electric pad kits and are loving it, and actually becoming pretty good. I had a go on one a short while back and must admit, was very impressed.

I had exactly the same problem at school when studying GCSE music. At first they actually wouldn't let me do my exams on the bass, almost claiming that it wasn't a 'real' instrument, and tried to put me on the bloody keyboard. I like keyboards, don't get me wrong, I just can't play 'em. I more or less refused to take part in the lessons anymore until they relented. I personally think they just didn't have invigilators in the exam who knew what they were looking for with bass players, they did say I was the first person in the school ever to play bass. Really p!sses me off to think others may have had their musical growth stunted owing to narrow-minded tutors not allowing them to perform on their instrument of choice

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  20. drum_dude

Very true, I had the same issues too and had @rsehole unemployed husband and wife next door that did f@ck all but moan! they even resorted to banging and shouting through the letter box...I just carried on playing! This was when I was 15-16 that this all happened. Eventually they got the council involved - they did naff all cos I was playing from approx 1pm to 2pm in the day. But unfortunatley for the sake of an easy life my dad said enough was enough and requested that I restrict the time that I spent playing.

Now in order to practice I hire out a room that is purpose built for bands to practice in - it's located on a farm.

My aim is to get a house with a big enough garden so I can construct a concreate/soundproofed bulding that would be disguised as a large-ish shed with the use of wood shed-like panelling on the outside. My old drum tutor did the same and has never had a peep out of the neighbours. In fact you cannot hear anything on the outside whilst he was in there playing!