The Linux Discussions - suggest your topic here

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Jakamoko, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Guys,

We all like to share our knowledge and learn from each other on CertForums. So here we are at the Linux Discussion forum. In this thread, please make your suggestion for topics you would like to see discussed in all matters Linux. Over time, we hope to take a subject, and create a discussion thread on that topic.

This is an open-ended idea, with few restrictions other than we keep the discussions on-topic and relevant. With this in mind, please post your suggestions for possible topics on this thread only, and remember, keep it to the point - suggestions only at this stage :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

There is strong feeling that Linux could well be the serious market contender to MS.
    It is also clear that by learning Linux you learn more about computing and therefore MS products too.
    I am noticing more and more job adverts saying Linux knowledge a benefit....
    I want to learn Linux but because i haven't really found my feet on MS platforms yet, don't want to get to muddled up!
    Either way Boyce will be keeping his ears to the ground :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Okay well as most of us are Windows guys and proud, I doubt we will be foregoing our beloved Windows environment and replacing it completely with a Linux one.

So IMHO discussion is needed regarding the correct procedures for having a home lab which interoperates between Linux and MS products. I am talking Samba here, how to share files between operating systems, what are the gotchas and how best to configure printers etc.

I think this is a reasonably interesting starting place.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Well - my main development machine at work is FreeBSD rather than Windows, but I do have a Windows box for other things.

I set up an older edition of Samba (this was a few years ago - I haven't touched it since - it just works) on the box to share files between the machines.

The main problem is with transfer of text files, where Windows uses <CR><LF> as a line terminator, rather than the Unix standard of <LF>. In cases where this matters a quick once over with vi deals. Going the other way I find that Wordpad will handle such files fine, whereas Notepad doesn't.

I also have set up printcap on the box to talk to the office printer, fortunately it talks LPD. I just have to remember to not print when someone else is printing, as it takes no account of the local domain-controller print queue.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Has anyone got any success stories in regard to ripping out a Windows server environment and putting in Linux?

The reason I ask is that at my current job we find it hard to sell a Linux solution as it does not have the same marketing strength as Windows for non IT people (in my opinion anyway), however the amount of cash saved in regard to licensing a Linux environment can be attractive.

Also is there any technical wizards that have done a migration like this, I’ve done a few NT to 2003 migrations which went to plan (lots of late nights and pizza though) but I wouldn’t fancy migrating to Linux purely because I wouldn’t know where to start! :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs