The Learning Group

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by andy2510, Feb 10, 2012.

1. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

Hi.

Has anyone here studied with The Learning People?

If so, are exams included in their packages (like Computeach's are), or are they to be purchased separately?

I hope it's the former because after forking out the best part of a grand for the A+ 2009, N+ 2009 and Microsoft Windows 7 Desktop Service Technician courses I can't afford the exams.

Cheers in advance

Andy

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi andy2510,

You probably should have read the T's & C's before enrolling.

If you had, you would have seen in section 8.1 the following:-

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news:eek:

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

Surely if you are doing a course then the exacts are a must purchase rather than a may elect to purchase!

Might as well just bought the books rather than this package.

At least I'm still in the 14-day cool-off period in the T & C's I received in the introduction email as a PDF file.

Cheers anyway :(

BTW - I was responding to a "special offer" from a Totaljobs email so I didn't see the T & C's - plus I studied with Computeach before which included the exams fees in it's package so it was a previous-experience assumption that exam fees are included with this lot as well.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  4. Notes_Bloke

Hi andy2510,
    Have they sent you your log in details yet? If so, have you logged on to the Online Learning System yet?

Because according to clause 4.5, if you have they won't refund.

NB

5. Notes_Bloke

Personally, I would also be wary of a company whose T's & C's were peppered with half a dozen or so spelling mistakes.

NB

6. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

Hi NB.

It seems I have been sent a different set of T & C's, because clause 4.5 in the email copy reads:

There's some ambiguity between the website set of T & C's, and the set I was sent. I imagine by law the one's sent to me are the binding set.

I hope!

Andy

7. Notes_Bloke

Yes there is some ambiguity.

These are the ones from the website:-

Does your copy still contain the typo's? For example:- gaurantee, unmistakeable:rolleyes:

NB

8. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

I would normally too - I wish I saw them before calling now. The welcome email wasn't great either. It was only because I had a genuine mailshot email from Totaljobs.com that I went for this (get A+ and Win7 DST together and get N+ free) that I called them up. You live and learn I suppose....

I can't afford to do the exams or lose the £1000 - especially as I have no income (wages or other benefits) coming in... and a baby coming in July! Should not have called up at all now but I thought I needed to get some later exams under my belt.

Hope I don't have a fight on my hands before I get my money back.

9. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

Gaurantee has been fixed but unmistakeable is still there. Interestingly, unmistakeable is listed as a valid word in the Firefox UK English dictionary!!

10. Notes_Bloke

Yes I've made my fair share of mistakes in the past:rolleyes:

Hope you get it sorted, mate.

NB

11. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

Cheers - I'll keep you updated!

12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Afraid I have never heard of the company before. Probably best getting a refund and doing some home study then.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  13. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

Hi all - here's an update

I emailed last night stating I can't afford the exams so please cancel and refund within the 14-day agreement.

This morning I got a phone call from the company - the guy (obviously the salesman) asked why I wanted to quit so again I mentioned I can't afford the exams. He questioned why I would expect the exams when the courses are £995 each (I mentioned I was with Computeach before which had the exams as part of the package) and got very arsey and said that I had a special deal with this company which cannot be passed on to anyone else - also I now apparently have a red mark against my name with this company!!

Fair enough, I had the A+, N+ and Win 7 DST all in at £995, however I have no income (and my wife only works 20 hours a week, yet we get no benefits) and so things like the cost of exams is not viable.

Interestingly, another "point" he made (when I said I would get the books only if I was going to pay for exams separately) is that CompTIA and Microsoft recommend you use an online training system as that brings the practical experience that books don't!! Complete hogwash!!!

When doing the mock test I noticed questions based on material not present in the online Skillport system. I remember this being the case with the Computeach courses as well, at least they provide the books for further reference as part of the package.

The Learning People's standard price is £995/course and they state Computeachs is £1200 per course. OK - £200 extra but factor in the exams (at £100 each he quoted) and Computeach is only £5 more expensive. Then add the books, the dedicated in-house tutors and the revision days (which allows you to have the exam guarantee - and to get there you have to pass the mock at 90%) then you have what seems to be more of a bargain.

Hope this post helps people when choosing who to study and and by which method.

Disclaimer - even though it may seem I'm praising Computeach please note I don't work for them, and they are not perfect. I'm just someone who's used their services and found them to be beneficial to my needs at the time. Please use my views and experience as part of your own informed choice of training provider, but please ask others before making a final decision.

14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes, it is all hogwash.
    Unfortunately it only ever becomes clear with hindsight.

It's all basic human psychology when you think about it.

The way out of low income/unemployment.
    Everyone knows that you have to work in IT to earn millions, right?

The interview/selection process that you 'pass'.
    Wow - happy days!

Then the threats of legal action and 'blacklisting' which prevent you from cancelling, even is the service is poor.
    I mean, who would care about being blacklisted by a company they don't actually want to do business with?

It's all just terminology that we are programmed to respond to.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  15. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

To be fair to this company they are advertised as a training provider, there isn't an "interview" process, and they didn't threaten legal action as I acted within the given terms and conditions. Other companies that I've been contacted by though.....

You're right about the human psyche and how we respond to it - that's how a lot of sales marketing works.

For my bank balance on this one it's a lucky escape!

Oh - forgot to mention - the 24x7 support they advertise is by Skillport and not themselves - they are a training provider with no tutors! I imagine a large amount of the fee you pay for the course goes to Skillport to provide the support and the online materials, and they pocket the rest.

I suppose that's why they get annoyed when people quit within the cool off period and get refunded - I doubt they will get the money back that they paid Skillport for the user to access the material and support!

16. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

UPDATE: The sales guy has just called again - he said that instead of cancelling altogether, he was prepared to give me a £200 discount for the exam costs.

I refused again but because 5 exams for the 3 courses cost £500 - still can't afford that. He was trying to twist my arm saying "I'll have a job after passing the A+" (which I've passed, and don't have one!) and when I still refused he said that "I'm making a big mistake, and that I'll regret it when I'm doing manual labour instead of IT"!

My biggest regret at the moment is not the taking IT course, it is not having a full driving license! I can count on both hands the amount of times prospective employers have (in a few cases reluctantly) said no to me, and need a calculator to count the times I had to ignore job applications, because I can't (legally) drive. I have a provisional, but that's no good!

Once I get my money back I may have to invest in driving lessons again....

17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Typical bully-boy tactics.
    It's all nonsense designed to trap you long enough for it to be too late to back out.

Quite.
    Some employers may or may not value certifications, but all of them will value your ability to get to work...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  18. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

Luckily living in Birmingham the public transport system is OK (for instance there's a train every 10 minutes to the City Centre from my local station, and it takes 15 minutes to get there compared with 1 hour by car in the rush hour).

However, it's the shift patterns some companies use, also going to customer sites, that's the problem.

Anyway - back onto topic - I had a call from the director of this TP after I posted the above message to confirm my card has been refunded. He also asked if I had any feedback. I did:

- I mentioned about the differences in T & C's between the copy emailed to me and the website. He said he'll get his web guy to look at that, as the web copy is wrong.
    - I mentioned that the sales people should say that exams are not covered in the price of the courses - he said that is already standard practice but he will reiterate with his sales team about it and to make it clearer.
    -I told him about the unprofessional behaviour of the salesman I spoke to (telling a customer they've made a big mistake is very unprofessional in my book) - he agreed with me and said he will speak to the individual once the call ended. he said the sales team should not question why someone has cancelled, and to honour the customers request.

He said if I needed any more training, or to restart the package once I have funds in place, to call him personally and he would sort out a good deal for me. So much for that red mark!!!

19. Liam Connelly

Liam Connelly New Member

andy, thanks for the post!

I also had the email from totaljobs registerd to enquire maybe refreshing my CCNA and look at getting some microsoft certs, im glad i didnt pay for anything! You'l get a job soon, there always seems to be loads on the CWjobs mailing list for Birmingham and hardly any in Coventry ;). The same line was used on me when i went for my CCNA "well you dont want to be stuck in manual labour forever" if you can pull off a good interview, youl get employed in no time.

Good luck

20. Isabel Hom

Isabel Hom New Member

Hi Andy
    I am doing the Full Stack Web Development online course by The Learning People and it is the worst online course out there, stay away!!!

I was looking for an online course in Web Development that I could do next to my full time job, mainly on the weekends. I have tried the free versions offered by CodeAcademy and freeCodeCamp which were really good and that convinced me to take the next step and look for a proper paid course. In the end I was deciding between freeCodeCamp and the one offered by CodeInstitute / The learning people, and the latter have convinced me to use their offering because they're offering Tutoring on top of the online program. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER!! This online program is so bad in terms of:
    -quality (the tutor videos)
    -content being taught contains gaps so it is hard to follow and understand
    -the questions and challenges are poorly phrased so it is hard to understand what they are asking for, the questions are messy jumping from difficult to way too easy and back instead of building up and they're all asked at the end of a session containing several topics instead of after each topic
    -hints are useless as they are way too basic something like "if you want to take this course you make sure you are connected to the internet")
    -no handout material or anything to support the learning
    After complaining about the content they have said to me I can skip sessions - well thanks for the offer but I have paid for this course and I am taking it to learn this stuff??!
    Tutoring is only offered during office hours and one day a week until 9pm UK time which is not an option for me as I have a full time job (and it is just 1 or 2 hours per week, sometimes it takes them quite long to respond so you don’t get much out of your time) . And my personal mentor doesn't respond to my emails, apparently he has left the company so I will be getting a new one.
    They just didn't put any effort into this online course at all and I can only advice people looking for a part time offering to stay away from this program! I won't waste my time on this and finish it, but instead join another course offered by a different provider. They've charged me £5,000 for nothing and are not even willing to offer me parts of my money back.
    I am now trying to warn people to not make the same mistake and chose another program, this one is a rip off!