The Guide to Self-Study

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zimbo, May 19, 2006.

1. drummermandan02

drummermandan02 New Member

Very true 'Trip' another point goes to self-self :)
    I am new to getting qualifications, but I want to focus on the web-side of things at the moment, then in the future add programming to my skills. Those are the 2 main aims at the moment (am interested in knowing everything, but dont we all!). I have seen a course that NITLC do that offers 6 qualifications (Dreamweaver Developer, Flash Designer, MCTS , MCPD, CompTIA Project+ & MCITP)
    Code:
    http://www.nitlc.com/webp.aspx
    I know this is going to cost an arm n leg, (waiting to hear back from them for the price) so self-study will be cheaper. If I was did go down the avenue of self-study then what qualifications and what order should I aim at getting, are the adobe certificates worthwhile?
    NOTE ADMIN: Sorry if I have intruded on this thread, feel free to move it to another thread of needs be... :s

Certifications: none
    WIP: none as of yet, but soon...
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Basically if you can find out why something has happend and understand why it has happend then you should be able to solve the issue.

Self study for me has taught me to understand why something does what it does and when a problem arises I should know of what can fix it when it doesn't do what its supposed to.

Example: Some ram is put in a spare dimm slot but it isn't showing up at boot or being reconised by Windows. The possible ways to resolve this are re-seat the ram if no luck then run a program such as memtest 86 to see if the ram is faulty or replace the ram with a know good dimm.

Example2: constant reboots, check the PSU is ok as it may be overloading, check to see if the CPU fan is working and clean out dust if needed.

Trial and error is how you work things out.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. greenbrucelee

if you self study it wont cost an arm and a leg, as you wont be paying anyone to train you.

4. drummermandan02

drummermandan02 New Member

so where should i aim to start (qualifications I mean) with learning?

Certifications: none
    WIP: none as of yet, but soon...
  5. greenbrucelee

You could look into CIW ro just get some basic web design books and build a portfolio or something like that. There are plenty of threads on CIW on here if you use the search feature you will find them.

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Please carry on this thread in another forum say the training and dev forum
    Thanks

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

Hi, I was just wondering, what it would cost to self study CCNA in terms of books, s/w and kit?

Cheers.

Certifications: 271
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends on what you buy. The varied possibilities are endless.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. dazzlerellis

dazzlerellis New Member

Just wanna say thanks to Zimbo, really uncomplicated the complicated for me, have now got some of the recommended reading materials to start the Comptia+, will then look at Network+ then who knows.

Basically bored in a job i dont enjoy so i started to research certs etc and your thread really gave me the push I needed, I've always been into computers and tech, and friends and colleagues constantly say i should work with em.

Well now because of you i hope to.

PS hi all, no doubt i will be posting some time soon :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia 220-602
  10. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Quote...The books that are recommended for this exam are:

A+ Certification All-in-one Exam Guide - £23.09
    CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide, Deluxe Edition - £32.50

These seem to be the two main books used with the first being the most favoured. Its worth noting that the above books are for the A+ Objectives that came out in 2006/2007 and not for the 2003 objectives.

I am currently working towards my A+ through an online training company and was looking at buying one of these books, how do i know which objectives 2003 or 2006 applies to my course?
    Thanx in advance

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  11. greenbrucelee

if you are learning for exams 220-301, 220-302 etc then that is wrong, you should be learning for exams 220-601(essentials) and either 220-602,220-603 or 220-604

12. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

yes my exams are the 220-601 and 220-602.
    i just wanted to double check that before i bought the book thanx greenbrucelee..

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  13. Zendog

Zendog Bit Poster

Any chance we cant get other certs added to the OP?

WIP: A+,CCNA
  14. Matthew Tailor

Matthew Tailor Banned

Unfortunatly some people learn the hard way with training providers. Self study is by far the best way to learn new skills. If you think back to the last time you had to solve a problem, how much more satisfying was it when you learnt the solution yourself? Also, it sticks in your head alot longer! :biggrin

Some training providers are charging well over £600 a day for training, which in my eyes is too much! Plan some time aside and teach yourself, you'll never look back

Certifications: MCSD, MCPD
    WIP: MCPD 2008 (3.5)
  15. Studious Sal

Studious Sal New Member

Just ordered the first book for the A+. Given myself 4 weeks or so for an exam - will let you know how i get on!

16. tfwdraven

tfwdraven New Member

Having just been burned by a training provider to the tune of £7K, I've decided to do what I should have done in the first place and self study. I'll keep people updated on how it goes once I have started. Wish me luck, I could do with some!

Certifications: None yet
    WIP: A+
  17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

What?! £7k i hope u getting some of that back? :blink

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  18. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

Hi Zimbo, after spend the last week listening to all those trainers out there, i have decided to go down the self study route, after reading your post. I would just like to thank you for taking the time to post the information, without people like you i dont know what we all would do.

Im just starting out, so will keep you all up to date and im sure ill have loads of questons and i know exactly where i will be coming for the answer. Cheers guys!

19. vikasarora

vikasarora New Member

Hi, I Inspired by your Topic.
    Thanx
    Vikas Arora
    ( India )

20. kevob

kevob New Member

just the sort of information i was looking for - thanks:D