The end of the home lab?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Anyone still building or using a home lab? Tidied my home office today and removed a server so now I am just left with one server which to be fair can only run a couple of VMs now. The spec of my laptop is better so I can do what I need on that.

Now I’m thinking just punt that server so in regard to servers I will have nothing – I’ll have a couple of managed switches (the whole house has structured cabling), a NAS and a couple of WAPs for wireless.

Anyone else seen their home lab downsize over the last few years?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually just invested in 3 Intel NUC Skull Canyon boxes for me to play with (more Container hosts then anything really).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

I've never really had a proper lab, just a crappy old Optiplex.. but I imagine most of my future labbing will be cloud based (where possible.)

4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Similarly I've only got a i7 16gb ram apple mbp but it runs some VMware VMs that I need very well. I was all set to buy a few nucs which I think are awesome, when I stumbled upon an almost infinite amount of cloud resource as a VMware employee. I now have vCloud Ditector, three 6.5 hosts each with 64gb ram, NSX, vSAN, vRA you name it plus access to any of our software. I'm totally blessed and know it!

I used to love my old HP ML tower servers and wouldn't have passed my MCSE at the tile without them. I'd definitely get kit at home again but it's definitely feeling like more of a luxury these days. I'd have to have something big in mind like an advanced certification, VCAP, VCDX etc

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

TBH I'm not sure how much you need it for the VCDX exam, that's all about the design.

VCAP for sure tho (well, the admin/deploy side, again not sure on the design).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    JK2447 likes this.
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I dont have any dedicated systems I just use my 16GB (RAM) macbook pro.. 250GB SSD with an additional 500GB internal storage and then a 1TB external drive. I use parallels for my VMs.. can get away with running 1 server and two host VMs at one time.

dmarsh likes this.
  7. Sparky

Looks like we are all going the same way in regard to labs – things change I guess :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. ajugland

ajugland New Member

I have never been more interested in homelab than now. Google, apple and amazon is doing an amazing job for smart homes, but still there are alot of compability issues cross system. Buillding your own Home Assistant. Thats why i searched for homelab on google in the first place. I want to find good forums.

9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Unless you are learning networking seems no real need. I've never had a home lab, but then i'm a programmer, even so I do IT styles tasks. You can build a threadripper system with few SSD's and load RAM and have 10+ hosts virtualized on one box. You can run containers, you can just cohost. If thats not enough you can use cloud services.

10. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Yeah i stopped building home labs since 2012

Its all cloud based now

11. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

I'm still running most of my labs in Hyper-V. I think it depends on what you're studying for.

I'm prepping for RHCE at the moment, and some of the networking layer is abstracted a bit too much on a couple of the cloud platforms to be applicable to exam prep. Things like firewall rules, and setting private IPs etc are done on the platform itself rather than on the individual VMs. Plus you obviously can incur cost too, so my local lab is just fine for now.

I'm sure if I sit a GCP or AWS exam in future all of my labbing will be done on there.

12. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

To be honest, up until you have the CCNA its worth having real equipment, but so much of networking study can now be virtualised.

I used Eve-NG for my CCNA and now using it for my JNCIA, PacketTracer for Cisco as well as GNS3.

dmarsh likes this.
  13. Sparky

Didn’t think I would see this thread again :)

Anyways lab is now on my laptop 1xDC with Azure AD connect and 2xWin 10 clients for all Office 365 and Azure training etc.

Got a few older servers in the Office for Hyper-V failover\high availability testing and POC projects so all good there.