The Cert Forums Fitness Challenge

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Gingerdave, Jul 1, 2009.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I just got a new bike yesterday: Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc '09 :D

I got the bike through the bike 2 work scheme we have in the UK (employer dependant), so it isn't costing me that much and I don't have to pay the VAT. The only problem is that my employer buys the bike and lets me "rent it" but once the value (-vat remember) has been paid the employer can sell it on, or to you - nice employers may sell you it for £1 though :p

I decided to opt for a bike for a few reasons..

My old workouts were all about lifting weight and building muscle, not cardio work and that's something I've always felt could do with most improving (despite being slim and musclular, I'm not that 'fit'), living in the city put me off going to the gym because you just lose so much time getting there and back (by bus), I want to explore the surrounding areas - and get fit doing so, I can change what I do on the bike from crosscountry to downhilling (keeps the boredom away) and last but not least it means I can cycle to work, I think it'll be easier to motivate myself if I'm going there anyway, rather than going out randomely and it's also quicker to cycle than bus during rush hours and out of hours bus times are not as frequent so it should be pretty even.

I would have started today but I need to change the pedals because the ones I have are clipless and they don't feel too good without the footwear designed for them (and I don't want to go for that option as a few people I know have fallen off due to not being able to release their foot quick enough heh) and I also need to buy 1 or 2 bottle holders, repair kit and pump etc. I intend to start cyling to work from Monday though! :D

I used to go to the gym 3x per week but for the past 2 years I've done nothing. I used to have a good workout routine and good/bad diet, it was high in protein and carbs for energy and muscle repair/building but it was probably a bit nasty on fat+saturates(it's crazy how hard it is to avoid the stuff - though I'm doing a good job now). I've since upped my knowledge about nutrition but I let the workouts slow down and finally come to a grounding halt.

Long post, I know, sorry about that :-)

Oh oh, I also forgot to point out another BIG reason I opted for a bike: I can continue to cycle for prolonged periods compared to running, where I find I have to slow to a walk before I can continue.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

7am is for pansies. My alarm goes off at 5:45am every weekday and my body clock invariably gets me up by 6:30am at weekends, unless I've been drinking (in which case I still wake up, drink a hella load of water, and go back to sleep). Thankfully, gone are the days of my Dubai shifts of the winter months, when I was getting up at 3:30am.

Work has been mental, as has studying, but I keep looking at the scales and grumping, so I'm going to start incorporating a quick jog into my morning routine. I've already scoped out a little route around my village that is 1.2 miles, so that should be a nice waker-upper :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I work variable shifts but this week I've been up at 05:25 every day to start work at 07:00. Next week I'll be getting up later though :)

4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Nah, 5:45 solid. I start work at 9:00 officially, but I'm invariably in the office between 7:30 and 8:00. There is a reason for the madness though - free parking, saving me and the hubby IRO £150 per month in commuting costs.

When work fully calms down (some time next century) I'll be using my in-earlyness to go to the gym in the City that I'm already a member of.

EDIT: nice bike, btw :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Mine does too!!! ...to tell me when it's time to go to SLEEP! :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Well, ive got 2 bikes for sale, they are top end bikes, they should be in sales and swaps later. Treat yourself and get in shape lol

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'm up every weekday at 5am get ready for work and out the door at 6:30am to get in the office for 8:15am then straight into the computer lab room to do 40 to 50 press ups. Get a cuppa of coffee and work through to 5pm out the door home.

I don't know how I have been doing the above for well over a year now but hey that's life no one says it was going to be easy:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Count me in. I'm doing two hours per day of step aerobics and one hour per day of walking at this point. I've lost about 25 lbs and still have 60 odd to go. I've been keeping sort of a blog about this over at SparkPeople.com if anyone is interested in that sort of thing:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal.asp?id=NEUTRALHILLS

It's a great, free site for those trying to lose weight, track their calories, and their exercise.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  9. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Excellent!

Welcome on board Neutral. Thanks for the link I will have a look.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm gonna give it a go
    I'll try my best to stay current too
    might help with some moral support on here, I need to get some upper body strength for diving anyway and it might be a good warm up before I start doing the crossfit WOD more seriously

Lost another 3lb last week, not the 10 of the week before, but at least i'm on the right track, not bad for a holiday weekend either ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. Gingerdave

I need the moral support as well hence throwing this open to everyone. Picked up a small injury to my right leg while sparring last Thursday so haven't done the squats but I have done the inital test and day 1 for both the Pushups and situps

Pushups

Inital Test: 17 good form pushups before it went wrong.

Day one the sets were: 10, 12, 7, 7, and then a minimum of 9 and I made it to 12 on that one.

Situps:

Inital Test: 34 good form situps.

Day one sets
    15, 18, 10, 10, Minimum of 14 - I did 30 :D

It does say on the site that if you managed more then 30 straight off to jump to week 3 but I have decided to try and keep the weeks in pace.

So far, not to bad, at the moment I found the hardest thing is keeping the correct form, but I expect the numbers to ramp up as off tonight.

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I may give this a shot. I could certainly use the fitness.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Gingerdave

OK day 2 - still no squats but the numbers looked far more scary today

Pushups: 10, 12, 8, 8, Minimum of 12, did 20 - giving me a new Personal Best :D. Total: 58

Situps: 15, 18, 15, 15, minimun of 18, did 44 - Again a new pb :D . Total: 107

so in combination with the Martial arts I am doing this seems to be working. Will give you the breakdown of each day as I do them.

14. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Well, I did my cycle to work yesterday. According to google maps I did 14.6 miles in all. It wasn't that hard, just the odd muscle burn from time to time, but I was still sweating hard when I arrived at work and later at home (luckily my work provide a shower room).

I had, however, been out on the bike on Saturday and did around 12miles in one trip, so I was confident that I could manage the work routes. It is still different cycling at leisure and cycling to reach somewhere within a limited amount of time though. I managed to cycle to work in 40minutes, reducing the journey by 20-40 minutes (variable due to bus reliability), and made it home in 35 on a slightly shorter route, removing 30-45 minutes from my usual home time during the rush hour.

I've taking a day off today though, my legs are still stiff and the weather wasn't that great but I'll be back on it tomorrow and probably Friday.... maybe Thursday but I doubt it :p

All in all I'm very pleased with my purchase, definitely one of my better ones!

Edit: Google maps keeps changing the distance on my routes - so I could've done from 14.6 to 16.5 - not a big difference either way though :p

15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Damn, I have not started yet! lol

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Don't think I'll do the CF challenge since my motivation for exercises comes largely from my ability to control my own workout.

When on holiday to Portland for a family reunion over the 4th. Got violently ill early the morning of the 5th and it's taken days to recover. Got up the nerve to hit the weights yesterday after work. Seemed a lot harder, but I'd also just increased my weight limits. Recovered enough to do my aerobic routine this a.m. for 45 minutes, so I think I'm back in the saddle. More weights tonight (lower body this time).

So far, I've got a total weight loss of 12 pounds since I've started working out. Comes in fits and starts which goes against my linear nature, but you do what you can.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

I have never experienced linear weight loss:blink I can fluctuate as much 2-4 lb in either direction over a day. Guess thats down to fluids

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  18. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I go to the gym daily & do a 40 min walk @ 5.5kph.
    This coupled with a better diet & i've lost 2 stone since Xmas and my waist size is down 2".
    My BMI is 27.3 which means i need to lose 2.3 to get to my ideal BMI.
    Fresh fruit, vegatables & low-fat food has all helped.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  19. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I did a 400yd swim and a 15 minute tread water (2 minutes with arms raised) for my Divemaster course last night, oh yeah and the swim was timed! lol
    to get 5 points on it you need to be doing about 100 yards a minute, eek! no way I was aiming that high just yet ;)

more pool work tomorrow, and open water diving tonight out at the lake
    carrying my fat ass up the steps from the lake in full gear (adds about 40kg) is a workout in itself :D

20. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

So do you need to do 100 Press Ups in one go or in four reps?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5