The brilliance of Windows Firewall

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Gaz 45, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Ok, my broadband went active yesterday. Thought Windows firewall would be Ok to start with, then i'd put in a decent one after i'd had a quick surf. Nope, 15 (I'm not kidding!) seconds after going online, a dialer or some such had taken up residence on my desktop & installed itself as a connection. Had to use system restore to get rid of it. Quickly installed ZoneAlarm. Cheers Microsoft!

PS Can anyone tell me what JDBGMGR is (in windows/system32), and why it keeps wanting to access the net? Seem to recall some problems with that file when my house had broadband at uni.
    Cheers

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

JDBGMGR.EXE is the Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java. The program uses an icon of a grey teddybear. It is usually found in one or more places among the Windows system files.

HTH but I don't know why it wants to connect all the time. Sorry.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

It's also targetted by a hoax email telling you to search your hard drive for it and delete it. DO NOT DO THIS.

It's not like a critical system file, but you shouldn't delete files like that all the same.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Peter

Peter Byte Poster

I agree windows firewall is not up to scratch but if you are using XP then service pack 2 is as good as the rest.don't nock it till you have tried it.

Certifications: Elec & Eelc Eng A+
    WIP: CCNA-CCNP
  5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Gaz

How are you connecting to broadband? Is there any firewall/cloaking device on your connection?

6. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Cheers guys. I'm not having a go at XP, just the firewall, as I know Microsoft were trumpeting it under SP2!
    We've got Wanadoo 1Mb broadband, i'm using ZoneAlarm firewall

7. Robnhood

Robnhood Bit Poster

I have seen some strangeness with the Windows xp2 firewall. I am not sure that I am comfortable with it to use it as a first line of defense.

JDBGMGR hoax link below:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

However, check this out:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

The W32.Efortune.31384@mm virus in particular targets this file.

Craig.

8. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

IMHO the Windows firewall included with XPSP2 is only adequate for "home" users who want a simple level of "protection" from outside attacks and should be used in conjunction with other security measures such as (up to date) A/V software, the use of non-administrative accounts, common sense sufring and e-mail etc. For more techincal users I would always use a full firewall product soch as Zone Alarm.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  9. Robnhood

Robnhood Bit Poster

I have seen problems caused by xpsp2 in a corporate environment with Outlook & exchange.

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thats exactly the setup I have at work at the mo, and have had since SP2 came out. What kind of problems have you encountered, Robnhood ?

11. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Thanks Robnhood. I'm denying JDBGMGR access to the net, and this doesn't seem to prevent anything working, so I may as well leave it at that. I disabled Windows firewall when I installed Zone Alarm. Am currently using Sygate's personal firewall, and AntiVir Home edition, seem to work OK to me!

12. Robnhood

Robnhood Bit Poster

Mostly retrieving mail. I had one user who said that they didn't get any mail messages until the clicked send & receive or another folder.

It was like their session with the exchange server had to be re-established.

Turned off the windows firewall, and all seems to be well.

Craig.

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Strange one, Craig - as I said, thats exactly the setup we run too, but since rolling out SP2 there have been no problems with mail retreival. All PCs have firewall enabled, and we also run an ISA firewall as well. I'll have an ask around about this and see what comes up ....