Thanks for Net+ Transcender Info.

Discussion in 'Network+' started by movieguy77, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

So tell me again who's the pirates. The word technically wrong is the right terminology to use here, not piracy.

WIP: C++ and A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I see your point, but if there are two versions of the same piece of software on two seperate computers regardless of wether it came from the same CD or a copied CD it is seen as breaking the terms of the license and seen as piracy of the license.

One license, one computer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Totally agree. I was talking about removing from one computer and then re-installing it on another, Dont get me wrong, I often go to boot fares and it annoys me to see "people" (you know who I mean) selling knock off films and computer programs.But if I have finished with something and not going to use it anymore why not give it to someone. After all where would charity shops be if no one gave things away.

4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

The thing that you're not understanding is that you aren't given the right to make that decision. You don't own the software. You own a license to run the software on your computers. We retain ownership of the copyright, so we retain the right to make the decision on whether to give the software away.

If you lease a car, you don't have the right to give that car to someone else. You are only provided the car to use under the terms of the contract that you sign when you originally lease the car. Essentially, the same thing applies to software. We as a company are granting you the right to run our software on your computer for a fee. Before running the software, you agree to a license agreement (contract) that states the rights that we grant you. We explicitly do not grant you the right to transfer the license. (Note that a lot of educational IT software uses this same type of license.) If you attempt to use the software outside of the contract that you have agreed to, you are in violation of our copyright.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Are you saying that if you want something (this isn't something you need to live like air or food) and you have no money to legally buy it, you should be allowed to steal it?

Excellent points, particularly about the licensing issue. The car lease analogy is a very good way to look at this issue.

Strictly speaking, we're *way* off topic. I suppose if AJ or Si were around, they might handle this differently, but I think it's a worthwhile conversation. With that in mind, because of its nature and how emotionally charged this subject can get, it's also about one or two steps away from being locked.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. greenbrucelee

The car lease thing was exactly what I was thinking.

I think the license issue is something a lot of people do not get and it's important to make people aware of what a license is.

7. Davidus

Davidus Nibble Poster

I agree - the number of times that I see a licence agreement and either check the 'Yes' box straight away, or zoom straight down to the bottom and check the 'Yes' box without reading the whole damn thing means a) I'm a bit naive; b) I'm lazy; c) Aren't they all the same?? (and no, I know they're not ALL the same, lol); d) lost my train of thought lol.

Anyway, I dont have any intention of 'transferring' the software to another computer so to that degree my negligance is 'acceptable'.

BUT, (and the main reason for this piece) is to agree, that the car lease is indeed an excellant analogy and thanks to GBL, BosonJosh, and indeed Mof for enlightening me to specifically what the main point of the licence is. Maybe Piracy (in some instances is too strong a world for it) but in the word of software related products, I tend to think that Piracy (as its been used so often) is the right word in this instance.

And, I concede that Tripwire's point is a timely one. Maybe we've all been sidetracked, and considering the first post of this thread, surely the subject was 'hypothetical' (I know - third time I've used this word in this thread :D) as the lending of the software hasn't yet occured.

Still, as usual, an educational discussion at best :).

Davidus

Certifications: EDCL (don't laugh)
    WIP: 70-536, Comptia A+
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

A rather unusual attitude for someone who works in IT mate. :blink

Yes I do drive at crazy speeds when I’m travelling down south on the M6 but I draw the line at software piracy. This can be a one user license for Transcender or 10 copies of Office 2007, the end result is the same.

The cost of software goes up and up it seems and piracy is one of the causes of this as people are ripping off software and some of the development time is now geared towards anti-piracy mechanisms (such as product activation) rather than developing extra features which again makes the end user lose out again, again!

This filters through the whole of the IT industry. I know when I’m putting a proposal together for a network installation I have to make it competitive so making a decent profit is getting more and more difficult and hence I don’t get as much £££ in my pay cheque. If the price of software wasn’t as high then things would be slightly easier.

Try and look at the bigger picture. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. greenbrucelee

Speed does not kill, its inappropriate driving which kills.:D:offtopic

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL, I`ll remember that the next time I get pulled over. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

12. greenbrucelee

13. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

and this is fair.

14. greenbrucelee

I didn't say it was fair but tis the way of things.

15. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Not at all, but thats the standard excuse that pirates give "These companies make millions, so it doesn't matter." Sadly it does for the smaller labels, thats my point. Although I don't agree with charging the same price for an mp3 album as you would charge for a CD. As I said earlier, I certainly don't download music illegally, most of the latest ****e on the likes of EMI you couldn't give me for free!

The only James Blunt I'd ever accept would be his head on a stick......:twisted:

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Plenty of people disagree with how Microsoft writes and administers their licenses. This is probably why there's such a thing as the GNU General Public License. Bottom line is that if you signed a licensing agreement, electronically or otherwise, regardless of whether you actually read the thing (and assuming you were given the opportunity to read it which, in the cases we've been discussing, you were), you are bound by that licensing agreement. Liking it or thinking it's unfair doesn't matter. It also doesn't matter if 9 out of 10 people blow it off and violate the license. It may be common practice to cheat, but it doesn't make it "right".

If you can live with yourself in that moral and ethical realm, so be it...just don't expect everyone you meet to agree with you.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

So... it's OK to steal my work because people speed? :dry

Mind if I break in your house and steal your TV set? Sure, it's against the law, but speeding is against the law, and people do that too... :rolleyes:

Or, if you don't appreciate the analogy because you don't truly believe that I've lost any money through piracy... why don't I tie you up, bring you to my house, and steal YOUR hard work by forcing you to paint my fence?

Sure, I speed. But I don't steal work that someone else created... not books, not movies, not music, and not software. Not anymore. I did copy C=64 games, back in the 80s, when I was a kid... but no longer. It's theft of intellectual property. If I can't afford something, or I don't want to pay the money for something, I don't use it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. BosonMichael

I don't have the money for a new car. Should I be entitled to go take one? No; if I want one, I'd better work for it, or reprioritize my spending habits so I can afford one.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  19. BosonMichael

On the contrary, we're exactly on topic. The OP wanted to use the Transcender against licensing terms, which we are discussing - and the violation of those licensing terms which results in software piracy. I fail to see how it could be any more on topic.

20. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Speeding and piracy are both wrong and illegal that is why I don't do both, it just makes me laugh when people say you should'nt do that as it is againist the law but when it suits them (like speeding) they are quite happy to break the law.

Certifications: A few.