Testing VMWare Beta 5 RC2

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by tripwire45, Feb 25, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Installed RC2 last night and installed VMware-Tools on all three of my VMs without incident. Actually, I'm getting quite good at installing 'tools' on Linux VMs.

Being a smart @zz, I decided to upgrade the kernel in my SUSE 9.1 Pro VM using YAST. I'd done updates through YAST on other services and features without a problem so I didn't think much about it.

Ended up hosing networking and the file system driver somehow. I couldn't get networking to go at all. Ended up posting on both a Linux forum and in the VMware forum. I couldn't even figure out if it was a Linux or VMware issue.

Turns out it is a VMware issue. After upgrading the kernel, you must reinstall VMware-Tools by rerunning vmware-config-tools.pl. Have to wait until I'm back home to try it.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Trip, have you had any problems with RC2 yet? Was just wondering if there are any stability problems between 4.5 and 5.0. I was thinking of downloading it to try out.

Edit: I was just reading about the movie making feature (really cool idea) and was wondering if you can also have voice input too, to explain what you are doing etc. Also can you edit the movies later?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I haven't gotten that far yet, Nugget. I hate to say it, but I'm really running RC2 on a very part-time basis between everything else I'm supposed to be getting accomplished.

I can say that RC2 is faster and more stable than the previous builds. I'm still having trouble getting knoppix to load as a VM and the CD-ROM wouldn't open when I was installing a Windows 2000 Pro VM last night (I had to wait until the installation was complete and the VM booted to get into My Computer, right click the CD-ROM and select eject).

Other than that, I am pretty well pleased, but keep in mind, I really haven't had the chance to run RC2 through it's paces. I think you can create an account at VMware that would allow you to access their discussion boards. You could have a look at the VMware Workstation Beta 5 boards to get an idea of what issues people are facing. If you run into a character named "tr1pw1re", that's me (with apologies to the member of the same name here at CF).

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Im also giving RC2 the run through here at work
    noticed on bug, may be isolated to me though
    I set up the machines with no network interface, then went and configured them later
    upon adding the interface and clicking OK, vmware crashed
    upon reopening, the new network card was present in the device settings, and seems to work fine, lol
    go figure

the movie making feature looks VERY good, especially for some of my tutorial/guide ideas!!
    I guess voice would be an audio over lay you would apply afterwards, when you finalise the video for publishing (ie incode it to DivX or something smaller than avi, add in audio layers etc) wont get into too much detail here, but thats the sort of phase you would add the extra audio track :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Have you given the VMware Beta 5 discussion group a whirl, Ryan? I've found it to be very informative.